Meter Readings

Options
I have been a long time reader of these forums but never felt the need to post before but after reading all the posts about the cost of gas and electricity I notice one common thing. Hardly anyone gives their meter readings. There are posts about large bills, increases in direct debits, companies estimating consumption to set up direct debits but never any readings as to actual consumption.

It would be helpful if a poster who posted that "I got a huge bill of £3000 for the last year and used 23076Kwh of electricity" we would know that the bill was correct for that usage(approx 0.13p per Kwh), "however I only use a 60watt bulb and everything else is powered by gas," OK slight simplification, but then we would know that there is a fault with the meter or someone else is using the electricity, as even a 60watt bulb on 24/7/365 uses only 525.5Kwh.

So please also post meter readings.
Robert

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, but that would spoil their fun because most of them just want a whinge. They probably know they're ranting rubbish - they just like pig-piling on the energy suppliers.

Caveat - there are occasional genuine posts. Consider such selves excluded from my whinge.

(It's the ones who include the phrase 'basic maths shows...' but then, as you say, omit the basic data (or include contradictory data) that amuse me.)
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    There seems to be a common theme on this board especially regarding my DD been increased or had a large bill and since found out there were in arrears and now paying for this

The best solution to avoid large bills is

1. The insulate where possible/ lag/ and draught exclude
    2. Turn things off where possible
    3. Turn down the heating where possible and fit those valve things on rads if possible
    4. Monitor your consumption and make sure you let your energy supplier know so you dont have a nasty shock
    5. Fit low energy bulbs and replace electrical products when they need replacing with a energy efficient model
  • housebug
    housebug Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    There seems to be a common theme on this board especially regarding my DD been increased or had a large bill and since found out there were in arrears and now paying for this

The best solution to avoid large bills is

1. The insulate where possible/ lag/ and draught exclude
    2. Turn things off where possible
    3. Turn down the heating where possible and fit those valve things on rads if possible
    4. Monitor your consumption and make sure you let your energy supplier know so you dont have a nasty shock

5. Emigrate :D
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    LOL yes I thought we might have another one or two added

Just as long as it isnt North/South pole ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure