We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Earplugs causing sore ears

Options
I am a really light sleeper and have come to rely on earplugs to get a good night's sleep. In the last few months however my ears are getting really sore when I'm using them (foam ones) and it's getting too painful to use them at all.

Does anyone know of any brand or type that is less irritant than others, or an alternative?

Thanks

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know how you feel. I used to use them every night as I lived with someone who snored really loud. I never really found an alternative except to download some soothing music and listen to it on headphones instead.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried just using cotton wool?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sorry that you are having such problems with sleeping / earplugs. I used to work in a very noisy environment and we were advised to wear earplugs but nearly everyone suffered from ear infections. No longer working there but do have problems sleeping - I prefer to have the radio on at a very low volume which seems to help me.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brainwave - you could try those wax ones that mould to the shape of your ears. They are meant to be for flying but do a great job of blocking out sound too. They sell them in Boots.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    We use them when shooting too. You can get them moulded to fit your ear.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be that you're getting an allergic reaction to the foam - I've not heard of being allergic to foam earplugs before, but I know an allergy to nickel or certain detergents or cosmetics can start randomly after a period of unproblematic use. If you don't wear them for a while can you then use them again? If there is pain or itchiness during the day you really should see your GP as it could also be an infection in your outer ear, I think, and you don't want it going in deeper! You should perhaps consult your GP anyway, in case the pain is caused by a problem within the ear. Definitely see GP if cotton wool or wax earplugs also cause pain!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would get your ears checked out. I use foam plugs for a few years now. I do get noises from the plugs moving around and one night I get the thumping which was my ear diarpham reacting with the plugs.
  • emmiemac
    emmiemac Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions,

Think you could be right SavvySue about becoming allergic, I can wear them if I haven't for a bit but my ears soon get irritated again, and I don't have problems during the day.

Have tried music but can't seem to drift off while listening to it, is good to get relaxed though.

Good advice about the cotton wool and wax plugs, will definately give them a try.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to use foam earplugs at work a lot and they tend to push any wax / other crud deeper and depper into your ears if you use them too much.
    Happy chappy
  • trace_567
    Options
    I use earplugs at night all the time. I have found some types to cause my ears to hurt, the sort that go back to their original shape once you put them in. I think these types block noise out more effectively because they totally seal up the gaps.
    I use classic or Classic II, I buy these from ebay. They are pretty cheap from ebay, my last ones I bought cost £2.99 including postage for 25 pairs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport