We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Jsa

I am in the process of being made redundant and would like to know what my entitlement is. Luckily I've been in full time employment since leaving school 34 yrs ago so this is new territory to me.
I will get redundancy pay and I have savings that will amount to over 20K.
I am lead to believe that I am entitled to contribution based J S A for 6 months, my wife works 15 hours a week (low paid) part time, question is can I claim any money for my wife because she works less than 16hrs a week? or am I only entitled to my own JSA of about £60 a week.
I dont want anyone thinking I am a scrounger, nothing could be further from the truth. I just hope I dont have to claim anything and manage to get another job, but at the moment I am just taking stock and preparing for the worse.
2 children age 15 and 18, eldest away at university.
Greatful for any advice, thanks in advance.

Comments

  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    JSA is not augmented for dependents.
    If you haven't found a job in six months' time, savings of £20K would probably mean you wouldn't get income based JSA - except you are very likely to need to spend some of that capital during six months of unemployment.

    Also try the entitled to website - http://www.entitledto.co.uk/ .
  • Ocean007
    Ocean007 Posts: 97 Forumite
    If you do sign on for JSA you may be eligible to claim Council Tax Benefit, sorry I don't know for sure as I'm not sure if your wife's work will affect it, but definitely worth asking about.

    After 13 weeks of claiming JSA you are eligible to claim SMI (Support for Mortgage Interest) after 13 weeks. Details here... http://www.dwp.gov.uk/resourcecentre/mortgage-interest-changes.pdf

    All the best with the job hunt.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 16,349 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    No: savings over fifteen grand disqualify you for Council Tax Benefit.

    Do contact the Tax Credits people and let them know your new situation. You should already be getting some money in the form of Child Tax Credit: with the loss of income this is likely to increase by a fair whack. And your wife might also be able to get some Working Families' Tax Credit.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.