We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I claim for my TV?

Options
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advise please.
I have a accidental damage new for old home contents insurance policy. While my wife and I were decorating the house at the weekend, on lifting and moving my tv my wife lost her grip:rolleyes: and dropped the tv onto a coffee table:eek: . The screen now has a gaping whole in it and the tv now doesn't work "obviously". Will my insurance cover this?
I paid £1300 for my rear projection (which they no longer make) TV 6 years ago. If covered, can anyone tell me what the usual procedure is for this type of thing, and how much I'm likely to get to spend on my next tv.

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This "should" be covered by your policy either under Accidental Damage Cover if you have paid for it or if you just have Standard Cover a lot of the companies include accidental damage to audio / visual equipment.

I say should as some companies but exclusions in these sections such as excluding damage whilst doing DIY (When a lot of Accidental Damage Claims Happen).

You should ring your Insurers to report the claim (You may find you have a bit of a wait as they will be inundated with claims due to the weather). They will ask you the make and model of the TV and then most Insurers have a national supplier who they will pass the claim over to. They will work out what they think the equvilent current tv and then either offer to deliver it to you or you collect it from their store (If they have stores)

The Insurers will see if the TV can be repaired which normally it cannot,

You will have to pay your policy excess which will be £50 or more and your premiums next year will go up around 15% assuming you do not have other claims etc.

The Insurers should replace it on a new for old basis so you get a new tv.

The Insurers get a discount from their supplier typically around 10% and if you want to up grade from the tv they offer they normally allow you to do this and some will allow you their discount off the up grade.

They are not keen on giving you "cash" although if you can find a cheaper local supplier including their discount some companies will allow you to use this company but will normally want to make their cheque payable directly to the supplier you pick.

You may find they ask you quite a few questions about how the incident happened as dropping the tv while moving it for decorating is sometimes used by dodgy claiments so don't be alarmed if they do just tell them the truth and they should be ok.

If you have accidental damage cover you can probably claim for the coffee table too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport