We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

motor insurance for older drivers

Options
I have heard it said that when you reach a certain age, it pays to stick with your existing insurer because if you continually change, you could find it difficult to get insurance as you grow older. Is this true and if so, at what age should you stop changing insurers ?

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is true, most Insurers have a problem with drivers over 75 although some have a much older age.

It would be wide to pick a decent Insurer when you are 74 who offer good cover and a good price and then they are likely to keep offereing renewal assuming you do not start having lots of accidents.

I would recommend you check with the Insurer how they deal with drivers over say 75 before you commit yourself and remember there is no guarantee they will keep the same criteria.

I would recommend speaking to a local broker who can explain it to you as they will know what companies tend to offer favourable terms to older drivers. Alternatively Saga and Age concern often have good terms for older drivers.

However be prepared for a quite large increase in your premium as you start to get over around 72 as Insurers receive a lot of claims from this age group so the premiums start going up.

P.S It is worth you paying extra for Protected No Claims Bonus so if you do start to have the odd bump the expensive premiums are not further increased by you losing your no claims bonus (I always feel its worth keep your excess fairly low if you have protected no claims bonus)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport