We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Can't get a mortgage despite good credit
Comments
-
GreyKnight wrote: »Yes the credit report says I am on the electoral role at my current address and the address is exactly correct and is how I always give it to any companies. I've been in my job for 7 years too...
I'm interested that Barclays have a pre-approved mortgage limit for all customers, I didn't know that (I do bank with Barclays).
The limit could be zero, but for many people who have been with them for more than 6 months it can be very generous.
Your adviser should have the number they need to call and ask Woolwich - PAML team I believe.
S/he then just needs to submit the case in the normal way but quote the PAML rather than an AIP number - not forgetting to phone and book the funds first. Who says we just input the application online andit's all simple
I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Exactly
Should take 5 minutes to get the PAML though
Hopefully after 7 years the OP will have built up good account conduct, and also a decent pre-agreed limitI am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Exactly
Should take 5 minutes to get the PAML though
Hopefully after 7 years the OP will have built up good account conduct, and also a decent pre-agreed limit
I've been with Barclays for 12 years and have always had plenty of money in my current account.
Do I need to get my mortgage broker to apply for me, or should I just do this myself?0 -
As far as I know either your broker or your local branch can get it for you. Your broker just needs your account and sort code numbers.
I would not be surprised if that is what the person you spoke to at Barclays (assuming they were a mortgage adviser) was referring to when she said she would get back to you on Monday.I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Greyknight - I am self employed and I got my mortgage via a broker who checked my Barclays PAML (pre-approved mortgage limit)
I had banked with Barclays for 11 years prior to the mortgage.
My PAML limit was £265850 depsite fact I was only purchasing a property value of £185000. I had a 40% deposit and utilised my PAML.
I was so glad my broker was aware of PAML as I was put on the Base Rate tracker +0.18% product otherwise it would have been a self cert fixed at about 6.3%.
The best thing of all is at time of mortgage (2007) is that I had only been self employed for 10 months, had no accounts to prove income or had a regular consistent income.
You state your broker is good - well he wasn't that good if he didn't utilise the PAML!!0 -
GreyKnight wrote: »I've been with Barclays for 12 years and have always had plenty of money in my current account.
Do I need to get my mortgage broker to apply for me, or should I just do this myself?
Sorry got the 7 years with your employer confused with the length of time in your job
Not sure if you go direct how long it would take - can't see why it would be any longer to get the limit.
Like I said it can take a broker 5 minutes to find out, so not sure if you want to go down that route.
All the points raised in this post are things that your broker should really have done for you - so to be honest you may want to find another broker in order to get a second opion and see if they can't get something agreed for you a lot more quickly without getting any more declined applications!I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Are there any other banks who operate a PAML system, or is it just Barclays? Specifically, anyone know what the position is with HBOS/Halifax (and now Lloyds I guess!!!).
Thanks,
CLS0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards