We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can't get a mortgage despite good credit

24

Comments

  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    if it was just affordability, it would not be a straight decline, they would offer the amount they as a lender felt was appropriate...........
  • Is there anything unusual about your address and any address you've lived at in the past 3 years. This may explain why your past credit isn't showing.

    Also, not all lenders put their credit agreements on Experian and Equifax. At one time Yorkshire Bank didn't but I think they do now.
    I am a Mortgage Consultant and don't like to be told what I can and can't put in a signature so long as it's legal and truthful.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    feisty1 wrote: »
    is this an experian/equifax/or what report?

    sorry i have just read credit expert, obtain an experian/equifax report...........
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    who do u bank with?
  • feisty 1, C&G will decline outright, you then need to call them and resubmit to the maximum they will lend.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    if this happens, how do you know what that maximum will be?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    GreyKnight wrote: »
    Maybe, but I earn £30k a year and have no outgoings, I'm looking to borrow about £100k.

    Don't see how that's not affordable.
    GreyKnight wrote: »
    £13,000 loan to buy another car (still in place)
    So you have disclosed no outgoings.

    Except you have a £13,000 loan still in place.

    Can you see how that might look to an underwriter?
  • No no no. I HAVE disclosed the £366 a month that I pay for the car, but this finishes in May this year so by the time I start paying a mortgage I won't have any outgoings. The mortgage broker said that they tend to not be interested in loans that only have a few months left to run. Regardless, this loan doesn't appear on my credit file so even if I didn't disclose it they would be none the wiser!

    CreditExpert IS an Experian report...? It's called "CreditExpert from Experian".

    I have lived at my current address for 14 years (since it was built). There is nothing unusual about it except it has a house name rather than a number (it's in the countryside). But the house comes up on postal address database searches no problem.

    I bank with Barclays who do mortgages with the Woolwich. I have called them today and explained my problem, the lady was very helpful and said she would speak with the decision making department about my circumstances and call me on Monday to say whether they thought I would be okay to apply. I suppose the fact that the one loan that does appear on my file was a Barclayloan may count for something..?
  • feisty1, they tell you when you call them back what they would be prepared to lend if you don't use their caseflow system. Depends on her broker and the system used.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    if you use caseflow does that tell u automatically?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.