npower - should i change from SP fixed tarrif

Options
any reason not to switch to npower, uswitch claims ill save £240 a year, im on the fixed dec-09 deal with scottish power and there is a £60 fee to come out this, but i should save in the long run.

one thing though on uswitch it says with npower discount applies after 1 year with npower, is this a con meaning you dont save anything until you have been with them a year or does it mean additional discount after 1 year ?

Comments

  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The suggestion is that the price should be £135 cheaper plus in addition you receive £105 discount if you complete twelve months with them.
  • mystic_bertie
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    The suggestion is that the price should be £135 cheaper plus in addition you receive £105 discount if you complete twelve months with them.


    ah i thought it was too good to be true, how is the discount applied do they put a lump of £105 into your account ?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No idea. I've always presumed they just credit your dual fuel account with the money. And then forget to bother to reduce the subsequent year's direct debit ;)
  • mystic_bertie
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    No idea. I've always presumed they just credit your dual fuel account with the money. And then forget to bother to reduce the subsequent year's direct debit ;)

    ok thanks, not as great as it first seems, smoke and mirrors.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, much as it pains me to speak up in defence of nPower, but I was just teasing about them not reducing the debits. The discounts are, to be fair, clearly advertised as an annual flat rate discount - less confusing than, say, British Gas' 0.2xy pence taken off Tier 2 units capped to £4 per month etcetera.
  • mystic_bertie
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Well, much as it pains me to speak up in defence of nPower, but I was just teasing about them not reducing the debits. The discounts are, to be fair, clearly advertised as an annual flat rate discount - less confusing than, say, British Gas' 0.2xy pence taken off Tier 2 units capped to £4 per month etcetera.

    ill see what other companys are offering as i would prefer the discount in payments not if possible, thanks for clearing that up ;)
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Im looking at NPower too and currently with Scottish Power, says i will save £127 a year, but unsure about the £105 as my monthly payment will stay the same as SP i guess and get a £105 payment after a year , i donno how it works :confused:

    EDIT: Something strange, Energy Helpline say i can save £127 , Compare the Market £217 , using same details, both put Npower on top
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    ah i thought it was too good to be true, how is the discount applied do they put a lump of £105 into your account ?
    The discount of £100 (actually £105 if you take VAT into account) is credited to your Electricity account on the first bill after the yearly anniversary.
    When working out the DD payments they do not take into account the yearly bonus, but after the first one is credited they may take the credit balance into account when working out the next years DD payments, unless of course you withdraw the £100.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    but after the first one is credited they may take the credit balance into account when working out the next years DD payments

    Only 'may', not 'will'? Do you have evidence for such a corrupt practice? Sheesh. I was only joking when I mentioned it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards