We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Made redundant and worried
catchooky
Posts: 420 Forumite
Hi there I have been made redundant and will finish up on the 12th Feb. My work say they will give me a months pay in lieu of notice and a severance payment as I've not worked there long enough to be due redundancy money
However, they have said I may have to sign a compromise agreement and won't tell me properly until Tuesday.
Now, as I work in a 'restricted environment', I already signed the official secrets act when I staretd work with them so am unsure if they want me to sign this so I won't blab.
They have said taht I'm being made redundant as the job no longer exists although they're passing my work onto other members of staff and they'll have to come in earlier to cover the rest of teh work (and be paid for the additional hours).
If I sign this agreement, will I have any recompense when they realise that (not being bigheaded) but that the place won't function as well without me ?
Will they be able to hire someone else in my position to do my work???
However, they have said I may have to sign a compromise agreement and won't tell me properly until Tuesday.
Now, as I work in a 'restricted environment', I already signed the official secrets act when I staretd work with them so am unsure if they want me to sign this so I won't blab.
They have said taht I'm being made redundant as the job no longer exists although they're passing my work onto other members of staff and they'll have to come in earlier to cover the rest of teh work (and be paid for the additional hours).
If I sign this agreement, will I have any recompense when they realise that (not being bigheaded) but that the place won't function as well without me ?
Will they be able to hire someone else in my position to do my work???
NSD November 1/20 :money:
Crap 1, Simple Be, Next, VANQUIS, TESCO, VERY, EMPIRE, ADDITIONS, HALIFAX C/C, HALIFAX LOAN, STUDENT LOAN
Make £10 a day in November £34.57/£450 :eek:
Crap 1, Simple Be, Next, VANQUIS, TESCO, VERY, EMPIRE, ADDITIONS, HALIFAX C/C, HALIFAX LOAN, STUDENT LOAN
Make £10 a day in November £34.57/£450 :eek:
0
Comments
-
I would suggest that you talk to your union rep, even if you are not a member they will often be able to offer you practical advice.That gum you like is coming back in style.0
-
Thanks, they've said that I shouldn't sign it but I'm concerned that I won't get my severance pay etc........NSD November 1/20 :money:
Crap 1, Simple Be, Next, VANQUIS, TESCO, VERY, EMPIRE, ADDITIONS, HALIFAX C/C, HALIFAX LOAN, STUDENT LOAN
Make £10 a day in November £34.57/£450 :eek:0 -
Might as well wait and see what it is they are asking you to sign first mate before you worry about it.0
-
I would ask for a copy of the compromise agreement so that you can see what you are signing. Most compromise agreements have specific clauses in them that will not allow you to make any claim for unfair dismissal, discrimination etc. They are also used if the organisation is making a payment that is above the normal terms of your contract of employment. You will be asked to seek independant legal advice before sigining it and your company should pay for this advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards