We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Unemployed

I am now officially unemployed! My contract with my last employer ended on 31st Jan and as yet there is no news of what is happening regarding new contracts.
My main question is this...I have had to cancel my regular direct debits to companies after phoning or emailing them first to explain my situation. I can just about cover my mortgage with savings that I have for the next couple of months. I have interviews lined up and am optimistic in finding something in the near future. Most of the companies I have contacted ie Sector Alarms, service policy with British Gas etc have basically said they will issue court proceedings to recoup the money I owe as I am tied into a contract, ranging from 1 year to 3 years. I have not said I am never going to pay, just that I am unable to pay at the present time.
Where do I stand regarding further correspondance with them? I have an excellent credit rating and dont want this to affect my future credit applications.

Comments

  • I would post this on the Debt Free board - they will be able to advise you far better than anyone here can.

    We just like to argue, bicker and call each other names on here. Oops, meant to say participate in intelligent debate and exchange opinions.
  • macaque_2
    macaque_2 Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    ukc331 wrote: »
    I am now officially unemployed! My contract with my last employer ended on 31st Jan and as yet there is no news of what is happening regarding new contracts.
    My main question is this...I have had to cancel my regular direct debits to companies after phoning or emailing them first to explain my situation. I can just about cover my mortgage with savings that I have for the next couple of months. I have interviews lined up and am optimistic in finding something in the near future. Most of the companies I have contacted ie Sector Alarms, service policy with British Gas etc have basically said they will issue court proceedings to recoup the money I owe as I am tied into a contract, ranging from 1 year to 3 years. I have not said I am never going to pay, just that I am unable to pay at the present time.
    Where do I stand regarding further correspondance with them? I have an excellent credit rating and dont want this to affect my future credit applications.

    UKC331
    You can burn up a lot of energy fighting off the wolves. In your shoes, I would divert that energy to finding a job. Having been unemployed a few times, I just play the numbers game. I send out hundreds of letters and applications. 99% of them get ignored but 1% sucess in 100 letters is all you need.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have deleted all posts irrelevant to the OP and moved this to the redundancy board where you will get better advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.