lump sum + regular payment for 3 years

Options
Hi! I have a fixed rate mortgage, and would like to save and/or invest any extra cash I have to be able to pay off a lump sum when the fixed rate ends in 3 years time.

Would anyone care to reccomend a strategy?

I'll have about 6 thousand pounds as a starting point, and hope to be able to put away at least 500 per month for the next 3 years, plus any other windfalls that might come my way.

I've done some sums and think it isnt worth putting any money into the mortgage before the fixed rate ends. I have no other debts apart from the mortgage, and would say I have a quite cautious attitude to risk. Also should say that Im not elible for an ISA as am residing abroad.

Was thinking to split maybe 70/30 between savings and investment products. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, and if so which products to use?
Thanks!

Comments

• save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    to be honest savings rates are terrible at the moment and I would personally overpay now on the mortgage every month. The rate of interest on the mortgage will be greater than savings rates, therefore worth taking the mortgage down than saving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure