Local Housing Allowance

Options
Hi everyone!!

I'm new to posting on this site and was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice?

I am 28 and currently living back with my parents in Scotland after i moved out from living with my partner a few months ago, as you can imagine i am looking to move out very soon, even though my parents are great, i need my own space. I am on £13000 and receive around £10 a week working tax credits. Me & my best friend have seen a flat we like, but I was wondering if i could apply for local housing allowance before actually moving out of my parents so i know if i would be able to afford it, as if i moved out first then applied and didnt receive it, theres no way i could afford it. The flat itself is pretty basic and if i received even half the rent, it would be managable.

Thank so much in advance, i think this site has guided so many people in the right direction.

Comments

• elaina79
    elaina79 Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.

The best place to look is your local council website. They should have the information on there. The amounts vary from council to council.
    I used to suffer from lack of motivation.... now I just can't be arsed.

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 1141 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :cool:
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    I would imagine you will be asked for a tenancy agreement etc if you apply for LHA, plus it is probably paid a month in arrears.

Perhaps whilst living cheaply with your parents you could save the couple of months rent money you will need.

As you will be sharing and therefore only asking for half the rent it would have to be very high I would think to get any help while you have an income of approx 14K.

Phone the council LHA dept and ask them to run your figures through to give you an idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure