We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do they work out the monthly payments?

I took out a 100% interest only mortgage in May 07 with B&W. The 2 year fixed rate of 6.49% comes to an end in May 09 (that's where my maths ends I'm afraid!). I borrowed £140,499 and my current monthly payments are £759.87.

How do they work out the monthly payments? What would they be now? I appreciate it will have changed by May!
Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
«1

Comments

  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    It will be at the standard variable rate.
  • Thanks, but how do i find that out?
    Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
  • skintandsad
    skintandsad Posts: 1,026 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    On an interest only loan, you calculate the payments as follows:

    Loan amount (£140499) x Interest rate (6.49%) / 12 = monthly payment

    so 140499 x 6.49% = £9118.39 / 12 = £759.87

    A quick call to your lender to find out what the current variable rate is would give you an "indication", however you could also check whether you are able at the end of the term to fix your lending for a further period (this depends on the terms of your existing mortgage).
    I'm a nutter :j
  • brown1950 wrote: »
    Barclays/Woolwich SVR rate w.e.f. 1st March = 4.99%

    this was posted in another thread ^^^^^
  • I've just rung B&W and it's currently 3.99%. So if the fixed rate ended now, my monthly payment would be £467.16 :-) What is the relationship between the standard variable rate and the BoE interest rate?
    Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    I've just rung B&W and it's currently 3.99%. So if the fixed rate ended now, my monthly payment would be £467.16 :-) What is the relationship between the standard variable rate and the BoE interest rate?

    There's no real relation as such - they can pass them on, or not. B&W's SVR is under review after today's BoE rate cut so might be lower. Have you thought about what you're going to do when the rates go up again?
  • Cry probably! There's not enough equity to remortgage yet and probably won't be for a while so I'll have to be careful and stash what I save on my monthly payments. Not sure where though. There's no decent saving accounts about. An isa might be an idea though. Or under the matress!
    Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Halifax's Regular Saver gives 5% and you can save up to £500/month. Might go down soon though I suppose. You could just keep your payments the same, though by looking at your signature maybe you're best putting it towards debt?
  • I did think about that actually. I was just about to ask what if the mortgage rate goes higher than it is now and my payments go over what I'm paying now, but if my debts are lower (or hopefully non-existent!!) it won't matter :)
    Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
  • Once you're on the SVR you can probably overpay as much as you like without having to pay any penalty.

    Try really hard to keep your payments the same as they are now (or even pay a bit more) to start repaying some of the capital you've borrowed and it'll be much easier to remortgage when you want/need to.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.