We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BOE base Rate cut to 1%

2

Comments

  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    nv200 wrote: »
    Kavanne, good thinking, maybe I should go down that route for 12 months but I kinda like to see my mortgage going down quickly.

    If only the less practical side didn't always rule!

    Question if I then paid my overpayments I saved for a year and the interest into my mortgage at the end of the year would I be saving more in mortgage interest in the long run?(Hope that makes sense!)
    I worked out that by saving the excess into my 6% saver for 12 months I will shave another month off my mortgage (ie: the interest I make in profit, so saving interest - mortgage interest = equals another month's mortgage) so I am paying off quicker.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

    'I do my job, do you do yours?'

  • Nationwide are passing the 0.5% cut in full on their BMR (SVR) mortgages (3% from 1st March) and for all trackers issued since 1st Dec 2008.


    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/mediacentre/PressRelease_this.asp?ID=1341


    Suits me fine 'cos my 5.23% fixed rate ends next month and I'll automatically go onto BMR :j
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,479 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Savers suffer once again.
  • roddydogs wrote: »
    Savers suffer once again.

    Best to have neither savings or unsecured debt at the minute. Just spend what you can afford and be happy (unless you went for a 6% fix four months ago!).
    Current MFD 1st July 2026

    Target MFD 1st April 2023
  • Squish_21
    Squish_21 Posts: 676 Forumite
    Nationwide are passing the 0.5% cut in full on their BMR (SVR) mortgages (3% from 1st March) and for all trackers issued since 1st Dec 2008.


    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/mediacentre/PressRelease_this.asp?ID=1341


    Suits me fine 'cos my 5.23% fixed rate ends next month and I'll automatically go onto BMR :j

    :eek: Yipeeeee!!:j Mine ends with Nationwide next month too!
    Squish
  • What are the chances of interest rates on new fixed rate mortgages dropping again? I'm looking at remortgaging now - should I hold off a few weeks to see what happens?

    The best deals I've found have been 3.74% + £559 fees for a 2 year fixed and 4.89% + £299 fees for a 5 year fixed. (~25% deposit)
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hHcVnX72-phuzZrl1BFC6_Qu7-Pg
    Four of the UK's biggest mortgage lenders said they would be passing on the latest interest rate cut in full to their variable rate customers.
    Lloyds TSB, which also lends under the Cheltenham & Gloucester brand, Nationwide, Halifax and Barclays' lending arm the Woolwich are all reducing their standard variable rate (SVR) by 0.5%.
  • If that reply is to me beecher then thanks but I was talking specifically about fixed rate mortgages which aren't mentioned in that article.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,125 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Who is that with. Thanks

    My fixed ends this month and because we have only borrows 60k the fixed rates put me off with the high fees, that doesnt sound to bad below
    JMitchell wrote: »
    What are the chances of interest rates on new fixed rate mortgages dropping again? I'm looking at remortgaging now - should I hold off a few weeks to see what happens?

    The best deals I've found have been 3.74% + £559 fees for a 2 year fixed and 4.89% + £299 fees for a 5 year fixed. (~25% deposit)
  • I have an offer that is being sent out today for a c&g mortgage fixed for 2 years followed by SVR it was for 4.39 and SVR 3.5%. The valuation was done two days ago and fees includes legals.

    I now have 2 issues.

    1. I notice Nationwide have brought out a similar product with a lower arrangement fee (£995 instead of £1995 also including valuation and legal fees). If I changed to their product to save on the fee would I be liable for any costs incurred thus far e.g. the valuation and legals that were all included ?

    2. If C&G bring out a product in the coming days can I just ask for a revised offer to reflect the new product, or is there fees involved ?

    I am very impressed that Nationwide have passed on the cut in full and made the announcement so quickly today

    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.