We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BOE base Rate cut to 1%

as thread title
«13

Comments

  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    will it have any effect on the economy though?
  • nv200
    nv200 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Not to boast or anything, but I am sure happy I took out the fee free FirstDirect +0.79% base rate tracker last October. When I started the application process the interest rate on the mortgage the interest rate was 5.24% now down to 1.79%.

    I have taken the decision to keep paying at the 5.24% rate and seeing lots of lovely capital being reduced off the mortgage!
    Mortgage when started: £127,500
    Current mortgage Jan2016: £127500
    Mortgage free day: Dec 2022
    OverPaid so far; £0
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,125 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    My fixed ends this month so I will be paying 2.89% on SVR

    I want a fixed rate perhaps 5 years as its fairly low compared with many who borrow under 60k

    Does anyone know where that spreadsheet posted on forums called Mortgage Schedule Calculator v1.6 link is.

    For some reason my copy is password protected, but I havent password protected it
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    will it have any effect on the economy though?
    No but it's sure had an effect on my mortgage!! Was £433 per month when I started in May and now I imagine it will be sub £300.... it's £301 atm... (BoEBR + 0.75%)

    nv... Have you thought about taking out one of those regular saver accounts as their interest rates are higher paying than your mortgage rate is charging. :) I have a Halifax account at 6% which I am putting my overpayment into.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

    'I do my job, do you do yours?'

  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    lets see which (if any) banks pass on the cut to their customers:rolleyes:
  • Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    nationwide wont cut anymore, kid of makes a mockery of there "thats for new customers only adverts" as new deals have a 1% collar!
    :beer:
  • HSBC Tracker doesnt have a collar mentioned I believe, so we should all benefit right away.

    Im tracking +0.69% and very happy.

    £1800 a month repayments now down to about £1100 since I took mortgage in october. Of course im overpaying anyway :)
    The Head Honcho (does very little work)
  • nv200
    nv200 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Kavanne, good thinking, maybe I should go down that route for 12 months but I kinda like to see my mortgage going down quickly.

    If only the less practical side didn't always rule!

    Question if I then paid my overpayments I saved for a year and the interest into my mortgage at the end of the year would I be saving more in mortgage interest in the long run?(Hope that makes sense!)
    Mortgage when started: £127,500
    Current mortgage Jan2016: £127500
    Mortgage free day: Dec 2022
    OverPaid so far; £0
  • 45 quid a month interest on my mortgage now, madness but I ain't complaining........
    Current MFD 1st July 2026

    Target MFD 1st April 2023
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.