🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How soon do rates get cut ?

Options
Another rate cut is expected by the BoE, but I was wondering how soon the various banks/building societies cut their rates - is it more or instant/same day ?

I want to make a CHAPS payment to nationwide ebond, but no point if the rate will have dropped by the time the money clears

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    >> expected
    It's happened.

Who will this benefit?
    People on tracker mortgages is all I can think of.
  • starbump
    starbump Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    nrsql wrote: »
    It's happened.

One percent. Words fail me.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Student loan woooooooo! Down goes the rate, down goes the rate woop woop! (If banks follow)
  • ej3ae
    ej3ae Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »

I think you are slightly mistaken there. The poster above is talking about savings rates and that story refers to borrowing rates. As a Nationwide customer I can cheerfully inform you that they have been coming down after every drop in the base rate for many of their accounts. Their Instant Access Cash ISA which was ok but never brilliant (about 5% at the peak) is now already down to 1% as of 1/2/09 to reflect January's cut. I dread to think what it will be at the start of March! I will be transferring out in April.

In answer to the posters question, interest rate changes for savers tend to be passed on at the start of the next calender month.
  • mister_t
    mister_t Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Their Instant Access Cash ISA which was ok but never brilliant (about 5% at the peak) is now already down to 1% as of 1/2/09 to reflect January's cut. I dread to think what it will be at the start of March! I will be transferring out in April.

Ruffler bank's 30day ISA currently at 4.2%. Not sure if it will go down after todays cut as they have not been tracking all the cuts.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Student loan woooooooo! Down goes the rate, down goes the rate woop woop! (If banks follow)

Not a wise thing to shout on the Savings & Investments board.:confused:
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ej3ae wrote: »
    As a Nationwide customer I can cheerfully inform you that they have been coming down after every drop in the base rate
    Yup, you're right. Nationwide have announced a 0.5% cut in their SVR which is likely to mean a corresponding cut in their savings rates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport