We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Girl on EML wants voluntary Redundancy!

Hi, I am an employer with a girl on EML extended maternity leave, she has asked me to make her redundant so as she will not lose any benefits, (mainly because I cannot accommodate her flexible working request.) I had a temp to cover her OML and EML till christmas and I have this week employed another temp to cover her old hours until her return date of march 23rd..................Can I make her Voluntary redundant? Will she lose benefits if she resigned instead? Has anyone else experienced this? BUT most of all ..............Am I leaving myself open to a tribunal case if it goes bad?
Confused Employer

Comments

  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    TBH I think you would be leaving yourself open for trouble here.

    You make POSITIONS redundant not PEOPLE. If you made this position redundant, on the grounds that there was no longer a need for the role or it that was no longer financially viable to keep the position, how could you justify employing someone else in it? :confused:

    Perhaps you could come to some kind of compromise agreement, whereby she still resigns but gets a couple of month's salary, which might tide her over for a bit in the event that she's sanctioned by DWP for leaving a job...?
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I agree with the above, what if she came and made an accusation that you made her redundant because of her request/maternity leave etc, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if someone else is then doing that job.

    If she wants to leave its not your fault if she would lose out on benefits (it would only ever affect her personal benefit)
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • jacklink
    jacklink Posts: 778 Forumite
    i very much doubt she would be penalised anyway, due to baby and all the benefits she will get, they cant penalise her, they may threaten but i doubt it will be carried out, this is her problem not yours. dont make it your problem. business is business you shouldnt feel that you have to ask this question.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.