We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Job description - should I have one?
YorkshireBoy
Posts: 31,541 Forumite
Hi everyone, not sure if this question should be here or on the employment board. Mods, feel free to move if appropriate.
I've been tipped the wink today that tomorrow I'll be told told my job is 'under threat' and that the 30 day consultation period will begin. It's part of a wide ranging cull so I'm not the only one.
Now the company tried to make me redundant last year but I appealed (after taking legal and other advice) on the grounds of a failure to adhere to employment law and a failure to follow correct procedures. The appeal was rejected, in writing, but the very next day they had me in to tell me that the threat was being withdrawn and I was to continue exactly as before on the same T&C's.
I imagine they're still smarting a bit so I'm expecting them to make sure they dot all the i's and cross all the t's this time. However, a thought has just crossed my mind...
When they wrote to me rejecting my appeal last year they said they didn't need to use a selection pool because my role and responsibilities were to be "shared within the department". I had pointed out that although I had the word "assistant" in my job title (and that was the only difference between myself and my boss) my role was specialist electrical engineering, whereas my boss and another (subordinate) co-worker were both general mechanical engineers. However, and as I said above, I didn't take this further (either in-house or at tribunal) because they withdrew the threat.
So, to my questions
Because I've never been given a formal (or any other for that matter) job description, can I somehow use that to my advantage at tomorrow's meeting...if, for example, they give the same reason as last time, ie "your role and responsibilities will be shared between those remaining"?
Is there any specific law (a link/citation would be great) relating to job descriptions? ie would it look really bad at tribunal if I didn't have one, or they had only given me one following me raising it at the 'threat' meeting?
How best to play this to my advantage?
Thanks for any help offered.
I've been tipped the wink today that tomorrow I'll be told told my job is 'under threat' and that the 30 day consultation period will begin. It's part of a wide ranging cull so I'm not the only one.
Now the company tried to make me redundant last year but I appealed (after taking legal and other advice) on the grounds of a failure to adhere to employment law and a failure to follow correct procedures. The appeal was rejected, in writing, but the very next day they had me in to tell me that the threat was being withdrawn and I was to continue exactly as before on the same T&C's.
I imagine they're still smarting a bit so I'm expecting them to make sure they dot all the i's and cross all the t's this time. However, a thought has just crossed my mind...
When they wrote to me rejecting my appeal last year they said they didn't need to use a selection pool because my role and responsibilities were to be "shared within the department". I had pointed out that although I had the word "assistant" in my job title (and that was the only difference between myself and my boss) my role was specialist electrical engineering, whereas my boss and another (subordinate) co-worker were both general mechanical engineers. However, and as I said above, I didn't take this further (either in-house or at tribunal) because they withdrew the threat.
So, to my questions
Because I've never been given a formal (or any other for that matter) job description, can I somehow use that to my advantage at tomorrow's meeting...if, for example, they give the same reason as last time, ie "your role and responsibilities will be shared between those remaining"?
Is there any specific law (a link/citation would be great) relating to job descriptions? ie would it look really bad at tribunal if I didn't have one, or they had only given me one following me raising it at the 'threat' meeting?
How best to play this to my advantage?
Thanks for any help offered.
0
Comments
-
YorkshireBoy wrote: ».When they wrote to me rejecting my appeal last year they said they didn't need to use a selection pool because my role and responsibilities were to be "shared within the department". I had pointed out that although I had the word "assistant" in my job title (and that was the only difference between myself and my boss) my role was specialist electrical engineering, whereas my boss and another (subordinate) co-worker were both general mechanical engineers.
Does that mean that you could do any of their tasks? Could one or both of them do exactly what you do?
Regarding JD - unless you had access to the JDs of your boss and the other person then I'm not sure it would be so much use to you. But I haven't given that so much thought.0 -
Thanks LV,
I can do 95% of my boss' job, but he can only do 20% of mine.
I can do 40% of the subordinate co-worker's job, but he can only do 10% of mine.
Turns out my boss hasn't got a job description either. :rotfl:
It's probably all academic now anyway because my co-worker has also been served notice today...just after me!
Some good news...I have an interview tomorrow!
0 -
Good luck!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards