help with IS

Options
hi all had a letter this morning saying that i have been paid my child benefit money for 3 children my daughter is at uni so her child benefit stopped in september, i rang them and now they are saying i nshouldn't be getting any money for her so have been overpaid?

i live with my husband who is sick and 3 children is this right?

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS CORRECT?

Comments

• richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    kez1234 wrote: »
    hi all had a letter this morning saying that i have been paid my child benefit money for 3 children my daughter is at uni so her child benefit stopped in september, i rang them and now they are saying i nshouldn't be getting any money for her so have been overpaid?

if she is in higher education cb is not payable so this seems correct.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

100% correct,they would have written to you in the early summer to confirm your daughters situation(i.e.uni/work/college)and as she was going to uni then c/b should have stopped on the last monday in August.I`m surprised that you didnt realise that you were being overpaid.however if you are totally dependant on benefits then they may agree repayment over a period of time of the £200+
  • kez1234
    kez1234 Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Options
    they didn't overpay on the child benefit they overpaid in income support we were getting 52.95 for her but because she is in uni this should have stopped?, when i phoned in sept last year they said nothing would be deducted has she was in full time education and living at home she travels about 40 miles to uni 3 times a week, they also told me i was getting her child benefit but that stopped on her 18th, in the letter it hadn't been deducted so was taking the equivilant of that from IS.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the IS for her should have stopped when she went into HE.

Contact them and you should be able to negotiate reasonable repayments.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    they didn't overpay on the child benefit they overpaid in income support we were getting 52.95 for her but because she is in uni this should have stopped?,

As she's at university she gets her Student Loan and Maintenance Grant to support herself , which will replace the money you get from IS for her. Obviously, what she contributes to the household is up to you but there's no reason for you to find yourself worse off because of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure