Please can anyone advise help with attendance allowance

Options
Hi, I'm trying to help a family friend who is over pension age, and has severe emphysema, claim Attendance allowance.
I know a fair bit about DVLA as my husband is blind and gets it. However over 65s cant get this can they? So need they have to apply for AA, and from what I've seen/heard the qualifying conditions and criteria are different.
Any help/advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• sharon59
    sharon59 Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    Options
    If you go to www.directgov.co.uk you will find all the upto date info on Attendant allowance and other benefits.sorry cant help more-am sure someone who knows more will offer more help but hope youve got bit of help.
    sharon
    :j this money saving is such fun:T
  • Hello jojofrg

If the person is over 65, then you are correct in thinking it is Attendance Allowance.

DLA is for people under 65....DVLA is the car folk :D

Here is a link to the direct gov website with the qualifying criteria. Like DLA is is about the care a person needs due to their disability or condition.

http://http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10012425

Here is a second link to the benefits now website. It gives an explanation on filling out the forms and some basic advice.

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/apply/aaapply1.asp

If in doubt, get some advice with the forms. There are a number of advice centres that can help your fill them in. Welfare Rights are part of your county council, there is CAB and also DIAL.

Good luck,

Munchie
  • gilson_2
    Options
    jojofrg wrote: »
    Hi, I'm trying to help a family friend who is over pension age, and has severe emphysema, claim Attendance allowance.
    I know a fair bit about DVLA as my husband is blind and gets it. However over 65s cant get this can they? So need they have to apply for AA, and from what I've seen/heard the qualifying conditions and criteria are different.
    Any help/advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
    Visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau, or phone them.
    Good Luck
  • jojofrg
    jojofrg Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the links and info', Yes, twit that I am, of course DVLA is motoring agency...I did of course mean DLA, think I'm having a senior moment day, LOL !!:o

Thank's
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    Just be aware that there is no mobility element with Attendance Allowance, most unfair I feel, so any application has to be solely on care needs.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,995 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In some cases where DLA (mobility) is in payment before pension age (and awarded indefinitely) it continues to be paid after pension age. AA can still be claimed though, and both paid.
    Not sure if this is an anomaly that has been stopped, but am 100% certain it has happened in the past.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • jojofrg
    jojofrg Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    More thanks to everyone, for the additional advice/ info'.

I have checked out the links, and they where quite helpful.
    But, I also think it would be in his best interest, for us to go to CAB, or such like, for some professional advice, as several helpful folk's here have suggest. I also agree with you krisskross, it does seem unfair that over 65s cant claim the mobility element.
  • bobmccluckie
    Options
    Ask your local authority for help with the forms. My mother in law needed help with the forms and someone came along to fill them out for her and, using their knowledge of 'the system', was able to get her lots more help like pension credit as well.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jojofrg wrote: »
    More thanks to everyone, for the additional advice/ info'.

I have checked out the links, and they where quite helpful.
    But, I also think it would be in his best interest, for us to go to CAB, or such like, for some professional advice, as several helpful folk's here have suggest. I also agree with you krisskross, it does seem unfair that over 65s cant claim the mobility element.

Your local Age Concern and Help the Aged branches may have workers who can help with filling the form out.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    if they do get AA then check out the possibility of council tax benefit as well if they dont already qualify
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure