We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Reducing Years Service

I am in the process of getting a VR quote. I have completed 13yrs at full time and 5yrs at part time. HR are coming back to me and saying they are working out a full time equivalent for my years service and are reducing it to 16 years due to being part time.

I was aware they would do this when working out my salary but can they do this to my years service?

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Comments

  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I didn't think they could do that but I am sure someone who actually 'knows' will be along..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • scope
    scope Posts: 764 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I doubt they can do this..When my wife was made redundant, with 5 years part time and 5 years full time she got paid for 10 years service.
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have worked for the same employer for 19 years, the first 12 were part-time and the last 7 have been full time. My VR quote is based on 14 years FTE and they are offering me 14/19 of my weekly wage, but the same number of weeks they would give me if I had worked for 19 years full-time. As they are offering above the statutory minimum and it is on a voluntary basis I think they can probably do that. I don't know what the position would be if it was compulsory and based on minimum statutory payments though.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • It sounds as if you are actually getting more than the statuory equivilent to me. Your redundancy is worked out at your current rate of pay.

    A quick example with easy figures would be :-

    the 13 years service you were paid £500 per week, then the 5 years service you were paid a half time wage of £250 per week.

    Assuming those 18 years were all between the ages of 22 and 41 you would be entitled to 18 weeks pay at your current rate, so 18 x £250, which would also equate to 9 years FTE.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.