We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Redundancy pay and new job?
Philippa36
Posts: 6,007 Forumite
I was told yesterday that my job is being made redundant, my employer can't afford to pay me. He said that he would keep in touch over the next 8 weeks and if things haven't changed then he will officially make me redundant April 1st (I don't expect anything to change!). It wasn't unexpected, I work for a mortgage advisers, a very small firm and cashflow has been a problem for a while.
Just over a week ago I had an interview to work for the CSA. I'm still waiting to hear the results but I am thinking positive thoughts!
My question is if I am offered the new job, I would be due to start March 30th. Am I still entitled to the redundancy payout? Or can my employer say that I would have left anyway?
Just over a week ago I had an interview to work for the CSA. I'm still waiting to hear the results but I am thinking positive thoughts!
My question is if I am offered the new job, I would be due to start March 30th. Am I still entitled to the redundancy payout? Or can my employer say that I would have left anyway?
“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
Kurt Vonnegut
Kurt Vonnegut
0
Comments
-
I'm assuming you are a permanent employee for your firm, not temp or contractor.
I'm not an expert, but I would think it almost certain you would lose entitlement to any redundancy if you started a new job before being made redundant, even if you (presumably from what you say) are on some sort of garden leave from your current employer. I imagine you would have to still give your notice in to your current employer before the deadline.
You could ask to start a bit later in the new job? But it's also possible if your current employer gets wind you have found a job, they may just stall on a redundancy date to force yor into handing your notice in, so they don't have to pay you redundancy.
Remember you are only entitled to any redundancy payouts if you have been made redundant, in writing. And you won't be there till 1st April ... are maybe later if your employer so chooses. Do you think your employer may just be playing for time in the hope you decide to not wait? And of course not waiting may still be the best option overall for you anyway ... only you can decide on that.Favours are returned ... Trust is earned
Reality is an illusion ... don't knock it
There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards