Can I make savings on insurance now I'm 50?

I wondered if anyone knows if I can really save money on insurance premiums now I'm 50? Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Age concern do brilliant house insurance for over 50's through Fortis. We been with them about 4 years now and they are the best company I've ever had. I'm 43 but hubby is now 55 and we are both on the policy.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I hit 50 last year and found SAGA were cheapest for house and contents insurance (I was previously with Halifax, who wanted a 30% hike after the first year). Only one resident in the house has to be 50 to qualify for SAGA (the policy holder obviously).
    Also worth checking them out for motor insurance too-they were cheapest, but I persuaded my existing insurer (elephant) to match their price.
    When you reach 50 they perceive you as a lower risk so premiums should be lower.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • glenstan
    glenstan Posts: 321 Forumite
    I found age concern very good for house insurance . They were cheaper by lots , and very helpfull on the phone too.
    :hello:What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    OH and I are both over 60 now. We've recently had to renew car insurance and find insurance for a new house we've bought. In both cases we've not found any of the age-related policies/companies any cheaper. We've gone through the comparison sites suggested by Martin (click on the appropriate link on this page ) and found the best deal that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure