Care Home Toilets

Is it acceptable, and within any rules and regulations for toilets in a care home to be shared by both sexes, and have all the locks removed from the doors "in case someone locks themself in" ?

If its not acceptable I need something offical looking I can quote at them if possible.

thanks.

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know about regulations but there is no need to remove locks - they should fit ones that can be opened from outside in an emergency.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try contacting CSCI
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Hi Lorian

I will try not to bore you with too much detail but CSCI regulate nursing and care homes under the Care Standards Act (and associated regulations)

They use National Minimum Standards (often abbreviated to NMS) to assess whether care homes are fit for purpose and in line with (a fair chunk of) the regulations. This is a link to the 'professional' page of CSCI which has links for the various pieces of legislation and guidance that they use to regulate:

http://www.csci.org.uk/professional/

ETA: if the care home you are talking about isn't registered with CSCI then they are breaking the law and committing a criminal offence just by operating. IMO removing the locks from the doors in unacceptable, the doors should have appropriate locks to the client group and if there is a likelihood of them (the staff) needing to get in there should be a means of unlocking from the outside (like you get on disabled toilets)
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thanks. The CSCI website was just what I needed. The carehome is marked as "poor" in its last survey. No suprise there.

I have downloaded the minimum standards document, just what I needed, having no locks on toilet doors is clearly in breach of page 22 Section 10.1 "The arrangements for health and personal care ensures that sevice user's privacy and dignity are respected at all times and with particular regards to 1. personal care giving, including nursing, bathing, washing, using the toilet or commode.....5. Entering bedrooms, toilets and bathrooms.

As this is an eldery (100+) relative I'm a little torn whats best to do, its not my direct responsibility, but I think I will be recommending trying to move her.

Meantime I think I might annonomously inform the CSCI and the council? Would it help?
  • I would think carefully about a move of home as even small changes can affect an elderly persons health, particularly if they are unable to understand fully what is happening. If they are fully aware and do not like the home then yes possibly consider a move.

I would go ahead and report this practice in the home. If the home is rated poor they will already be on a more regular inspection timetable. It would be good to think you could approach any government organisation charged with supervision to express your concerns and for the information not to filter back, but I fully understand your concerns about anonimity. I should emphasise I have never heard CSCI criticised for any leaks.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thanks all. I'm drafting a letter today to raise the concerns with the home, and I'm copying the director of services at the local council as well as CSCI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure