Website not asking for security number

Options
Im booking an hotel online and they havent asked for my security number when placing the booking (Visa debit card). Its for a large amount. Will the bank still accept the payment?

Comments

• bitterSTAR
    Options
    I have found that some websites don't ask for the security number. As long as you know that the website you're using is legit, it should be fine!
    Cashback Earnt so far in 2009: AMEX £133.93, wepromiseto.co.uk £67.07, Barclaycard £25, MobilePhoneExchange: £28. TOTAL: £254.00
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are just booking but not paying for the hotel then the card is only providing a means of guaranteeing the booking. Payment would be taken if you didn't turn up. If they needed the number now, they would ask.
  • bitterSTAR
    Options
    If you are just booking but not paying for the hotel then the card is only providing a means of guaranteeing the booking. Payment would be taken if you didn't turn up. If they needed the number now, they would ask.

True, I hadn't thought about that! You usually pay on departure from the hotel.
    Cashback Earnt so far in 2009: AMEX £133.93, wepromiseto.co.uk £67.07, Barclaycard £25, MobilePhoneExchange: £28. TOTAL: £254.00
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure. You could call the bank to see the procedure of taking large payments.

When I made a big purchase, the bank called me for authorisation (asking personal details to verify ID) before taking money away from my account.
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Holiday Inn website doesn't ask for your security number - even if you are paying for the room in advance. What most of their hotels do is manually enter your card number into the credit card terminal as a cardholder not present transaction.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    Not sure. You could call the bank to see the procedure of taking large payments.

When I made a big purchase, the bank called me for authorisation (asking personal details to verify ID) before taking money away from my account.

I rang them as a payment was taken out which i think is the hotel but i wanted to check. They said it doesnt appear on their system yet as it was done today. If i ring back at midnight will their system have updated?
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It says "Prepayment of 100% of booking" on the confirmation email. So does that mean they will take the amount in full right away?
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they adhere to the content of the Email - yes. Is it a 'special offer' ..... as they often specify prepayment.

Having said that I've experienced Hilton offers which specify pre-payment .... but they don't charge the card until the point of departure. Bit hit and miss.

But if it's covered in the confirmatory Email - and you can see an earmarked sum on your account ...... I'd say it's fairly certain the amount will hit your account imminently.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure