Moving in with mum on Pension Credits

Options
My mum is on Pension Credit Guarantee Credit & rents a house from the council, for which she claims full HB & CTB.

I have just split up with my partner & will have to move back in with my mum until I get back on my feet. I only work part time as I am studying too so my annual income is about £8000.

Would my moving back in with my mum effect her pension credits?

Approx how much rent & council tax would I be likely to have to pay on her house?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    According to this

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/housingbenefit/claims-processing/operational-manuals/hbgm/annex/a5annxa.pdf.

Gross earnings of £160 would mean your mum's HB would be reduced by £17 a week and CTB by £2.30

So that's the contribution you'd be expected to make.
  • CHARDONNAY_3
    Options
    Thank you so much for the link.

However I am a bit confused by the note at the bottom of the link. Does the word "claimant" refer to me or my mum in this context?

My apologies if I'm being a bit dumb.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    The claimant would refer to your mum.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No reduction for first 6 months though.
  • redz
    redz Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    CHARDONNAY wrote: »
    My mum is on Pension Credit Guarantee Credit & rents a house from the council, for which she claims full HB & CTB.

I have just split up with my partner & will have to move back in with my mum until I get back on my feet. I only work part time as I am studying too so my annual income is about £8000.

1) Would my moving back in with my mum effect her pension credits?

2) Approx how much rent & council tax would I be likely to have to pay on her house?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1) No. Unless she is in receipt of the severe disability premium. If she is she will lose the premium.

2) Nothing. As long as the Guaranteed component of PC is in payment she is entitled to the full amount of HB/CTB.
  • redz
    redz Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    exil wrote: »
    According to this

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/housingbenefit/claims-processing/operational-manuals/hbgm/annex/a5annxa.pdf.

Gross earnings of £160 would mean your mum's HB would be reduced by £17 a week and CTB by £2.30

So that's the contribution you'd be expected to make.

Should read info more carefully before posting links. Saves giving mis-leading information.
    When a claimant is in receipt of Pension Credit (guarantee credit, savings credit only or
    both), no non dependant deduction is taken. However, when a pensioner is not in receipt
    of Pension Credit (guarantee credit, savings credit only or both), take a non dependant
    deduction.
  • CHARDONNAY_3
    Options
    My apologies if I sound a bit dumb - so does that I mean I wouldn't have to contribute to the rent at all? (sounds a bit odd as I was expecting to have to pay most of the £61 a week rent)

Also, Bigbill, where does the comment about no reduction for 6 months come from?
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As long as mum is over 65 she will have no deduction for the first six month when you first move in, see below link first page right hand side, special rules?

http://80.168.51.108/media/pdf/4/1/Non-Dependants_Leaflet_08.pdf

Once the six months is up YOU WILL effect her housing and council tax benefit as you then become her non-dependant for benefit purposes.
  • CHARDONNAY_3
    Options
    My mum isn't 65 yet, so there will be a deduction from the start, but it's much less than I would have to pay out if I lived alone.

Thank you to everyone for their comments
  • The_walrus
    Options
    Also ask your mom if she gets Disability Living Allowance care component. If so there would be no deduction
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure