should i apply for dla?

Options
hi, i'm hoping someone here can advise me. people keep telling me to claim dla. but i don't know if i'm entitled or how to go about finding out. i've had depression and post traumatic stress for years, the depression since i was a child and the pts for 12 years now. i have difficulty getting out. anxiety and panic attacks. when i do have to go out i get severe stomach upsets, nerves. i've been on so many anti depressants it's ridiculous. none of them seem to agree with me, scarily seem to completely change my personality at times. i have three kids and the majority of the time it's my partener who looks after them as i'm so screwed up. i'm so lucky to have him. but he also has dyspraxia so it really is a struggle at times. i just feel totally lost, neither of us is fit to work really, he's quite a danger at times, there is no work in our area anyway. i don't want to be claiming something if someone else needs it more though. please help. i'm totally in over my head. thanks in advance.
Unfortunately,
MONEY makes the world go round.
Bah Humbug!!!!
:snow_laug:snow_laug:snow_laug

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,292 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    you should apply for dla and the CAB will help you fill out the forms. Good luck!
  • Maybee0105
    Options
    DLA stands for Disability Living Allowance and I'm sure there is a claim form you could download if you do a google search and the site will explain it but I believe

It's a benefit for people who needs lots of personal frequent help with things like going to the toilet, washing themselves, eating, taking tablets etc OR need constant supervision so that they don't harm themselves. OR there is a mobility element if you cannot walk very far OR any combination of these things.

Whether you work or not isn't really the point neither does the diagnosis of your illness matter that much it's your needs they look at.

There's nothing to stop you claiming if you think you have the need & the CAB will help you with the forms.

Have a look at the website & see what you think..........
  • number3daughter
    Options
    Hi mustangsal, I was a little bit like you and didn't know what i should be applying for as I had a disc removed years ago and have suffered with various different things since (i wont bore you with the details). I phoned my local council advice centre and told them all about me and they set up an appointment with them so they could talk to me about what i'm entitled to and they even helped me to complete the dla form. I'm in regular contact with them now and they are helping me with my blue badge application. I do remember in some parts of the dla form asking about depression as they guy said you can get it if you have depression.
    I hope this helps. And remember you can phone them first if its going to be overwhelming for you to go to them first.
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes its always best to get some one help you fill in the forms . dial, cab .ect. as it so stressful to fill them in. as some questions are hard to understand , they they will explain question in a way you can true fully answer. most people have to appeal , so it's good to have some one help . good luck
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • yorkiegal
    Options
    hey there mustangel
    i was a lot like you and didn't think i deserved dla, so i ended up living just on incapacity benefit and got into a lot of debt. Now I've been awarded high rate care and low rate mobility dla for depression and borderline personality disorder. It's made life a lot easier. I'd apply if I were you, and as others have suggested, get help from the C.A.B or perhaps your local Mind office. Also let your gp know you're applying and give him a checklist of the things you feel you can't manage on a day to day basis, i.e paying bills, cooking a meal, caring for the kids etc. Just because he knows you're depressed, doesn't neccesarily mean he knows all of your symptoms.
    Good luck xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport