PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Avoid using Gas and Electricity

Options

Comments

• rosekitten
    rosekitten Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    another money saver is to have your
    washing machine on just cold fill. I you
    look at the back there is a red tube
    (hot water) and a blue tube (cold water)
    both of these tubes go into a white Y
    shaped tubing its that we have removed
    and the red tube.

Our machine now only takes in cold water
    it takes in enough water to heat the water
    for that wash.To the temprature we require.
    So if its a 30c , 40c etc wash it heats it to
    that.
    The old way on hot fill it was relying on
    taking hot water from our imersion tank
    or hot water supply. Itsd a lot cheaper to
    use.
    :j:j:j
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    HAS ANYBODY SEEN the front page of, I think, the Daily Express ? Its got a shocking headline on gas/elect prices set to rise by 47% in the next ten years...
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have just compared my latest Electricity bill with the one for the same period as last year, with some careful usage and increasing things which are running overnight, eg washer & dishwasher I have saved just under £60 in usage.

As our winter bill showed an amount owing to the provider this has helped to repay some of theis deficit. Had gotten a little lax in utilising the Economy 7 to best plus heating packed in for a while so had electric fan heaters going upstairs.

Hopefully by the time we get the next bill in Sept the deficit will be repaid and any savings will be ours, in readiness for this winters bill..
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • KSB235
    KSB235 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I am fairly new to OS money saving, and just generally lurk on the boards, but i felt i just had to say thankyou for all the tips that have been posted on this thread. :T

My electricity bill last quarter was £225, and it's just me in a one bedroom flat :eek:

After getting this bill i realised i had to make a change so have been incorporating some of everyone's suggestions and having just received the bill for the quarter just gone I was so shocked at the difference, it was £70!! I realise that the quarter before was a bit colder but i hardly ever bother with the heating because it is rubbish anyway.

I've just stopped heating the immersion up morning and night and now just have baths in the evening, and I think the key bit has been switching everything off at the plug when i'm out and when i go to bed, i've reduced my average unit's per day down from 26 to 4.5 and i am so pleased!! I'm telling everyone i know to do this too, and not only is it good for my pocket it's better for the environment too, i just can't believe i've never thought to do it before now :D
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rosekitten wrote: »

Our machine now only takes in cold water
    it takes in enough water to heat the water
    for that wash.To the temprature we require.
    So if its a 30c , 40c etc wash it heats it to
    that.
    The old way on hot fill it was relying on
    taking hot water from our imersion tank
    or hot water supply. Itsd a lot cheaper to
    use.

How is it cheaper when you heat your water by gas. Gas per kilowatt hour is about 4p and electric 14p :confused:

I have a combi boiler and can't see it being cheaper for me.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have children getting their clothes completely filthy so I do all of my laundry in cold water with about half of the manufacturer's recommended quantity of detergent. As far as I'm concerned my clothes are not noticeably dirtier or whiffy compared to a wash in heated water. I am considering doing the bedlinen and towels in cold water as well just to see how that goes. I've got nothing to lose except the cost. I don't know why I never thought of it before. Old habits die hard, I reckon

i do ALL our things on the coldest (and conveniently also the shortest!) wash of 30degrees. i only use about 1/3rd of the powder suggested, 1/2 if it's really dirty but that's rare and our things come out just fine.

hanging the laundry out to dry outside will definitely remove any smells (not that i've ever noticed any) the only time i use a hot wash is if i'm washing up linens etc that have been used by us when we've been ill for awhile, just to kill the germs off. but that doesn't happen often at all around here (must be all the garlic we eat!) so 98% of the time it's a very short cold cycle for us with no problems whatsoever!
  • Confuzzled
    Options
    i've been wondering something for awhile and thought maybe someone here might know the answer

do you use any electricity when you flush the toilet?

my instinct is to say no but my ex step father used to bang on about not flushing the loo if we had a powercut, something about it ruining the pump. now i don't know if he meant a pump inside the toilet (water pump i'm assuming) or an electrical pump but that makes me wonder if you actually DO use electricty to flush.

so if anyone can answer that for me i'd really appreciate it, googling hasn't done much good to get me any closer, maybe i'm using the wrong search terms
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No.If you used electricity there would have to be a socket to connect to the toilet.If there is no wire going in there can be no elec being used.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe he had one of those saniflo toilets. I think they use an electric pump because the waste goes through a smaller bore pipe.
  • Confuzzled
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Maybe he had one of those saniflo toilets. I think they use an electric pump because the waste goes through a smaller bore pipe.

ahhh yes maybe that was why, the house in question was quite old and the pipes probably were smaller than standard. the bathroom was also a much later addition so i suspect that's probably why! thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure