PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Avoid using Gas and Electricity

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    you can get stoves with a chimney of their own that you have fitted onto an outside wall..
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Our stove is a Yeoman Exmoor 4.9 kW stove - multifuel option

Apparently, it has a clean burn system and tertiary air wash!

We got this size because it was the biggest one you could buy without having to install additional air vents in the room. We've enjoyed having it very much

Did I say that there is often a waiting list for these? We were told, when we chose ours, that it was 18 weeks but we were lucky enough to be offered the one in the showroom
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Just wanted to add - I bought our first wind-up clock today. Does that count as no electricity?
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to add - I bought our first wind-up clock today. Does that count as no electricity?

Certainly does! If it doesn't have a plug I would say so ;)
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 August 2009 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Autumn is in the air and the nights are getting darker sooner. I dug out my fleeces yesterday and am about to change my quilt to 13.5 tog from the 5 tog summer quilt.

Last year I managed to go to last week in October before switching on the central heating. However, I switched my central heating off on Mar 1 last year but this year was still occasionally using ch until about 1 May, so must have been a colder spring this year or else I'm getting soft. I have no other form of heating than gas ch. I am hoping next year to remove my gas inset fire and install a multi fuel burning stove. I have already started to collect wood that I find when I'm out walking my dog. My hope is that I will be able to have several 'free' evenings of heat. I also have a couple of dead trees in my garden that I can gradually cut down and use for 'free' heat.

I registered with imeasure 42 weeks ago and register my gas and electric consumption each week. I'm disappointed that even with all my gas and electricity saving measures I only register E or F with my carbon use against other participants.

I am trying to set my house up for survival if gas and electric were no longer available. I know that sounds a bit extreme but it would mean that I could survive without switching anything on. My attidude to rising fuel prices is that I will not use them and will find an alternative source.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately I've been feeling a bit low, what with everything else to worry about & such. Consequence is--I've been spending far too long on the computer playing silly, addictive games :mad: Nothing that had to be paid for or downloaded thank goodness, but a complete waste of time & electricity all the same :wall:
    I really do have to get back to recording what we use, but our meters are in an awkward place for me to read & the offspring are always "Yeah. I'll do it when I get back" which translates to sometime-never because I don't always remember to remind them :doh:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    more info on the 'click together' tile effect laminate stuff please......

I have to change the floor covering in the bathroom, en-suite, cloakroom, hallway and dining room in the next few months -- first 3 due to 'smells', 4th due to a hole scratched in it by a dog, and last due to stains. As I'm seriously looking at applying to become a child-minder later this year (and have an elderly dog who's starting to have 'little mishaps' in some of those areas) I'm desperate for something that's "easy clean" as well as comfy/warm underfoot.

I've been looking at a 'green' lino (Marmoleum) which I know won't be cheap - but I've never been anywhere that's used it -- and it's hard to tell from a small sample what it would be like underfoot in the middle of the night :o

Have you thought about carpet tiles??? Easy to fit, relatively cheap to buy, warm like carpet and easy to clean as you can just lift one up if you have had a spill and clean it up, in the bath using the shower if necessary. You can also buy a few extras and keep spares for serious damage, and move them round to even up wear.

Not attractive in a lounge but brilliant for kitchens, playrooms, offices, and even bathrooms.

If you have small children with poor aim in the bathroom get a pedistall matt to protect your carpet round the loo.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    BigmummaF NEVER MIND THE GAMES ! TALK TO US INSTEAD ! WE WILL FINISH YOU O.... OOOPS I MEAN CHEER YOU UP !
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    you can get stoves with a chimney of their own that you have fitted onto an outside wall..

Really!? Would that be suitable for a house with no chimney or anything???

We have an all electric house with storage heaters and would love a woodburning or multifuel stove. Partly for efficiency so we can reduce the electric we use and generate more heat and partly because they look lovely and feel cosy. We'd just about given up because we thought it would be impossible without a chimney.......
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    A quick question, I'm all for reducing my electricity consumption, though not as extreme as you guys :)

We have E7 electric as we have storage heaters and I am keen to get as much of our electric usage from the E7 period as possible. The heaters use this, and I have had a timer fitted to the immersion so this heats for an hour over night and is insulated suffciently to mean that this stays warm pretty much all day. If we run out we can either boil a kettle or boost the immersion.

I have bought a timer switch that can be used in a plug socket with the intention of making sure that all rechargeable devices are charged over night.

Lights and the computer/tv obviously can't use the E7 as we want to use them during day rate.

The big one that I want to change is the washing machine. I am aware that it uses quite a bit of power and would like to run it during E7 (midnight - 7am for us). It doesn't have a delayed start programe though and I don't want to have to stay up until midnight just to do the washing, and getting up early enough to get a full program in before seven is a bit early too. At the moment I am switching it on as late or early as I can manage and accepting that half the program will be full rate and half E7 rate.

Has anyone got any better ideas for running the washing machine? That don't involve buying a new one (we will but not until this one breaks and we will look for one with a timer function and a 30degree cycle too).

Any other ideas for making the most of our E7 rate?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport