Reference for uni - need advice

Right, here's my situation. I'm 38, a secretary, just started studying through the OU, and really really want to go to uni to study English. I think I can manage financially, and I started to apply through UCAS for a place at Dundee in 2010. However, a reference is required. My work history is all over the place, I was made redundant after a year in the middle of last year, temped, wasn't kept on at the end of a probationary period in November, temped again, working in a law firm which is just horrific, seperated in April last year so lost touch with many friends, and I am totally stuck as to who to use for a reference. I don't do anything apart from work and study, I don't leave the house so don't know very many people now, who on earth can I use as the reference for uni?! I know I don't have to apply now, but I started to fill in the forms this week and didn't realise you needed a reference!

I don't know whether I'll be able to use my OU tutor as I get on with the course, I'm guessing I won't know her well enough, I don't want to use my boss even 6 months down the line, has anyone come across such a problem and how did they get over it? Any advice gratefully received!

Comments

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You'd be better to wait until September and apply then. If you apply now for 2010, you'll be applying for deferred entry, but the deadline for applications was January 15th. Although you can apply late, unis don't have to consider you. So you might just end up wasting your application and having to apply again in September anyway.

So if you're waiting til September, your OU tutor may know you well enough to write a reference for you. Otherwise, is there anyone at work you can ask? It doesn't have to be a manager, just someone who knows you. Alternatively, you'd have enough time to start some voluntary work if you wanted and get a reference from them.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• SWMBO
    SWMBO Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It shouldn't be a problem to get an academic reference from the OU, they'll do it all the time.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Use your OU tutor. She'll know your studying methods best.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    juno, I don't want to do voluntary work purely as a means of using them for a reference, and I do appreciate your comment about the deferred entry, but I can't see my situation changing this year, so just posted the question wondering whether anyone had been in a similar situation. I wouldn't use anyone from work, it's a very small company, and thanks to SWMBO and Zazen for letting me know about the OU tutor giving a reference, I didn't know that, I've only done 10 point short courses so far, this is my first 60 pointer, and whilst my tutors on the 10 point course have been great, I think I was figuring that your reference should be someone who knew you in a personal capacity, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your posts, appreciate them, and Juno sorry it was just that I started to complete the UCAS forms to find out what information they wanted, and hit the reference dilemma!
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think your OU tutor is your best bet.

I had a similar problem and it seemed the biggest stumbling block to actually get a uni place. I don't think the universities realise what an issue it can be for a more mature person. In my case I'd done my OU courses a few years ago so couldn't really go back to ask. In the end I took a six month sabattical to work out what I wanted to do, and then got in touch with my old employer (one of my colleagues really) who helped me out. However, if I'd not quit my job I couldn't have asked them as it would have given them really early notice that I wanted to leave - not exactly what you need.

Good luck
  • justruth
    justruth Posts: 770 Forumite
    Seriously go with the OU tutor, all the universities I applied to last round loved that I was doing OU. They want to see that you will do the work without them having to chase you up on a regular basis. The OU is a PERFECT example of this. If you want to add additional references you can always send them on as a letter (quoting your UCAS application number) and CV.

It is slightly different for mature students but to be honest I found that a lot of admissions departments were really helpful. If you have an idea where you would like to go I would also suggest ringing the individual admissions depatments and talking to them regarding what they want to see and supporting information. They can be really helpful.
    Debt £5600 all 0%
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck. If I was your age I'd be doing it!
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Thanks again for the helpful advice. I've been in touch with Dundee Uni's English Department in the past and they advised me exactly what courses to do, hence starting with the OU, and I'll do an access course as well hopefully starting in September.

PasturesNew, I'm scared of doing it at my age, but if I don't follow my dream then I'll always regret it!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Good luck. If I was your age I'd be doing it!

You can do it at any age - IMO you are never to old to learn!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4476227.stm
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Good luck. If I was your age I'd be doing it!

Pastures,

Are you aware of how generous student loans / maintenance grants / bursaries are now? With a MSE lifestyle it's plenty to live on.

IIRC you're under 60 and haven't done a degree before so you would qualify for the lot.

I must admit I'm going to take advantage and am going to uni just to enjoy the course. My feelings on the borrowing money bit are that if I'm lucky enough to get a high enough paying job then I won't mind paying the student loan off, and if I don't, well I won't be made to pay it off - and the debt dies with you. For all those who'd shout me down in flames for saying that, I'll add that I've been a higher rate taxpayer for (ahem) rather a lot of years now so I feel I've already paid my debt to society.

So - why not go for it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport