spec me a current account.

Options
Im looking for a new bank account mainly because i want a new debit card, e.g. visa, mastercard etc. Currently i have a solo as i opened the account when i was under 16, your age cannot be verified with a solo and some places (mainly online) dont accept them so ive ran into a few problems now and again and had to use a parents visa/mastercard.

A&L , top current account in martins guide looks good but unfortunately is only open to over 21's (im 18).

Im not bothered about interest rates, i have a savings account for all that so any opening bonus / cashback would be a nice plus. Must have online banking and i dont mind doing it 100% online, e.g. no paper statements.

Im about to do some research into this on my first day off for a while :p but any suggestions, recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    In my opinion, the following under 18's accounts are good in terms of the debit card (i.e. VISA debit):
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The A&L Premier 21 current account pays 8% AER on the first £1,000 for the first year and would meet your online requirement.

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/current-accounts/premier-21-account.aspx

If you know someone with an A&L current account they can refer you and you each get £25.
  • Samfau
    Samfau Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the replies, look pretty good. A&L 8.0% is a plus, and as i won't earn more than the personal allowance for 08/09 and 09/10 tax years i will get that tax free (i'm on my gap year at the moment) which is nice.

edit: you can also get £50 cashback on Top Cashback for the A&L premier 21 account.

Also, would there be anything stopping me from posting and asking if anyone else with an A&L current account would like to refer me so we can both get the £25? Is this against forum rules or against A&L's t&c's at all?
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Samfau wrote: »
    Also, would there be anything stopping me from posting and asking if anyone else with an A&L current account would like to refer me so we can both get the £25? Is this against forum rules or against A&L's t&c's at all?
    You can only do stuff to do with referrals in the referrals section of the forum

Though you could read some A+L threads and PM someone with an account to see if they would
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A&L Premier 21 is for 16-21 year olds I think, maybe wrong. :confused:
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • Samfau
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    You can only do stuff to do with referrals in the referrals section of the forum

Though you could read some A+L threads and PM someone with an account to see if they would

yeah, obv i would do it in the referrals section, was just wondering if there was any outright rule against it on this forum.
    PROLIANT wrote: »
    A&L Premier 21 is for 16-21 year olds I think, maybe wrong. :confused:

Indeed it is and i am 18 so no problems there...
  • Samfau
    Options
    If i found someone willing to refer me so we can both get the £25, i assume i wouldnt be able to get the topcashback £50 as well? Is there a way of getting both?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure