windows media player on Vista and how to tune, help please

Options
Hi I have recently got a new PC with Vista Premium. It has Windows media player on it which seems great ie seems to do everything but I have one problem, how do I manually tune in a channel?

Can anyone give me a step by step guide how to do it?

I have tried the help and did not do too well and the only frequecies I have found by playing about seem not what I want ie they are more like sky freqencies like 12285.00MHz etc for Sky 1.

The reason I ask is because I have an aerial cable coming from my sky box downstairs to my pc upstairs so that I can get sky on my PC. With my old PC I just tuned the TV software into frequency 69 or 68 (cant remember which one but it was one of those), but on the new PC I cant see how you do that with Windows media player.

I am not sure what these frequencies are but they were the old analogue frequencies, you know, like BBC1 was frequency 26 and BBC2 was 33 and ITV was 23 etc etc.

So basically the cable is there and connected as before but I cant get the PC to see it at the moment.

Any help really appreciated.

Comments

• udjamaflip
    Options
    Can you be a bit more specific, are you trying to tune into online tv streaming channels/radio streams or internal network channels or either of the aforementioned?
  • happyhero
    happyhero Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    udjamaflip wrote: »
    Can you be a bit more specific, are you trying to tune into online tv streaming channels/radio streams or internal network channels or either of the aforementioned?

Yes ok, no nothing online, the PC has a TV card that excepts an ordinary roof top aerial. In my case the roof aerial goes to my TV and Sky box in the lounge via coaxial cable as it would in most houses but I have then run another coaxial cable from the ouput of Sky to another room where my PC is, just the same as you would if you wanted to run Sky to your bedroom or kids room and they wanted to use one of those magic eyes to control the sky from their room, but in this case it goes to my PC.

If you did this to a kids room you would then have to tune your kids TV to RF frequency of about 68 or 69 just like you would have tuned this TV in the beginning to channels 1 to 5 (or possibly it did automatic setup on first start up).

What I was easily able to do on my old PC was tune in like this, but this Windows media player, although great with all it can do, it seems impossible to find. I know it can do it because of the following:-

When I set the media player up originaly I let it do its stuff more or less on its recommended settings and it has a Freeview card built in so it set up Freeview on my PC. When I then tried to set up Sky to view on my PC, well you tune it in like an analogue channel which media player lets you do. It says something like "look for analogue channels". So I set it off doing this and it found the 1 to 5 analogue channels but did not pick up the sky channel which is normal, as you usually have to tune that in manually on TV's anyway and I did on my old PC. To do this you need to be able to access the RF frequencies manually.

Obviously you have none of this for a adjacent TV as they are normally connected via scarts and dont need tuning but when you get involved with TV's in other rooms or PC's with TV cards in other rooms, you get the signal the old fashioned way down the aerial/coaxial cable and tune into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure