EDT, EDP & Parfum ... Huh?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
3 replies 621 views
ElliotReidElliotReid Forumite
331 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
I'm the first to admit I'm uncultured in these things :rotfl: I'm really not a girly girl and I haven't the first clue what the difference is, though I'm guessing Parfum is the actual perfume and the other two are diluted versions of such.

Now. I do wear perfume but the ones I buy myself are Red Door [yum :D] and Red Jeans - I did have a nice benetton one but it broke.

It's my birthday tomorrow and for it I've been given a red door giftset - perfect as I was just running out :D I have an EDT and a body lotion - but there's also a small 5ml bottle of parfum.

... So what do I do with it? :o Is it there for special occasions to last longer or do you mix parfum with stuff to make it last longer? Like I said - heavily uncultured :rotfl:

Thanks guys!
Homer: Don't you worry about Wikipedia. We'll change it when we get home.
We'll change a lot of things.

Replies

• I'm not entirely sure either though I'm sure someone will know more but I think parfum is a more concentrated version so it will last longer and you don't need as much, and that's why it's more expensive. I have mostly EDT and when I do wear my only perfume which is a parfum - J'adore, I always have to remember to just one tiny spray as it's so powerful, you don't need to mix it with anything.

• NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDT = (weak and the fragrance/smell won't last very long after you've sprayed) Eau De Toilette

EDP = (greater concentration of perfume and should last for hours after you've sprayed) Eau De Parfum

Parfum = (will last for hours after you've sprayed) Pure Perfume

I never buy EDT for any fragrance, I believe it's a waste of money.

I buy EDP because the fragrance lasts for hours after it's been sprayed and it's affordable.

I can't afford to buy Parfum or Pure Perfume..............but if you can afford it, it's the best/purest form of the fragrance.

For EDP and Parfum, it's important to store them in a cool dark plce like a drawer or cupboard. If they are stored in a warm place exposed to sunlight (like on a window sill or dressing table), the fragrance will go off or denature.

I keep EDP in a drawer and it lasts for years/the fragrance doesn't go off.;)

If you have EDT, use it up first because it doesn't have a long shelf life.

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Much appreciated ladies, thank you v much :)
    Homer: Don't you worry about Wikipedia. We'll change it when we get home.
    We'll change a lot of things.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals