business is using our rubbish bins and parking space

Hi,

ok so I have talked to the police and council and they can't help, so I want to know where I stand;

the beauty business over the road uses our rubbish bins and car parking space.

I've returned their waste, though they denied it was theirs- I opened it up and produced headed paper and tanning wipes and other bits and bobs that their store is full of. they've literally filled our entire bin today- so we have knowwhere to put ours- even worse, they've filled our recycling bin too with general landfill waste :mad:

their customers and manager parks in our space- which is off road on a very busy road and in a permit only area.

what should we do?

we rent the flat- although our LL has said she had the same problem when she lived there too.

We don't use the space-although I don't see why they should use it for free- they've refused an offer to rent it from us.

thank you in advance for any help! Short of returning their waste every night, I don't know what to do. I've been in on numerous occasions and they just don't care :(
If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!

Comments

• simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    personally I think you need to keep a diary of each time their rubbish arrives in your bin and repeatedly take it back into the shop and leave it on the reception desk. They'll soon get fed up.

Other than that, I would ask a local company for a quote for removing it and write to them recorded that each time you have to remove their rubbish that this will be the charge incurred by them.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I thought business waste had rules especially if they are using chemicals? Try environmental health dept just in case I'm right.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    How rude. If I owned it I'd put up one of those parking posts that drops down to the ground (especially as you won't be inconvenienced as you don't use it), maybe you could find out how much one is and speak to the landlord. As for the rubbish, environmental health, businesses can't just go using anybody's bin for their waste.

Is there any easy way to lock up/away your bin/s?
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to rent your car parking space to someone else or let someone you know use it during the week.

Unfortunately if you have a car parking space and don't use it then other people will use it unless it is blocked off by gates or a chain with a lock on it.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • butler_helen
    butler_helen Posts: 1,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'll keep returning the rubbish- we keep a diary of which number plates use our spaces - there are three flats, two with cars and our car is rarely there.

So we know the worst offenders- worse, we've caught them and their excuses are;

1. If we park on the road we get a ticket.
    2. You weren't using it (to which I replied 'you're not currently using your shampoo and I've ran out- can I have yours- to which he laughed).
    3. The guy doesn't mind (I'm a girl and yes I do!).
    4. We have an agreement from the landlord (we he doesn't).
    5. We need a permit to park round the corner and we don't have one.
    6. It was only for an hour.
    7. I own the building (but we rent it, so surely its ours to use and police who uses it?).

I'll give environmental health another ring- they weren't very helpful last time.

H
    If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
  • Not sure if the new regulations have come in yet, but you used to just need the land-owners permission to put up a sign and start wheel-clamping, a couple of £50 fines should solve the parking problem.
    As for the rubbish, can any of it be directly linked to the business? send them an invoice for the disposal of it.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I'll give environmental health another ring- they weren't very helpful last time.

H

Give them a call and tell them to take action. I'm sure a business dumping commercial waste is an offence. If the EH won't help then ask for the name of the person you are talking to and ask them who you write in to to make a complaint about them.
    The man without a signature.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Dump the rubbish back outside their shop. That'll soon learn 'em. Sound like a bunch of chavs. Can't believe you have put up with it for this long.

Do you have a friend who rarely uses their car? They could park it at yours whilst they aren't using it.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Agreed that EA are worth a call.

What about contacting a local paper - radio station TV?

Some papers/programmes do like this sort of stuff and it could well embarrass the business owners

EDIT - there may be some info on here that is of use http://www.netregs.gov.uk/
  • How about making a deal with the business owners and charging them a small fee for use of your parking space, they avoid the hassle and a parking fine, you get a bit of spending money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure