Can I countersign a passport application?

Options
I've been asked to countersign a passport for a friend. I am currently a trainee solicitor. The application itself states that

"The person acting as your countersignatory must: be a professional person (including those who are retired) or a person of standing in the community. For example bank or building-society officials, police officers, civil servants, ministers of religion and people with professional qualifications - teachers, accountants, engineers, solicitors and so on; ..."

I have a law degree but am still in training and do not fully qualify as a solicitor until June. I called the passport helpline and the person I spoke to said that as long as I have a law degree, I can countersign. But she didn't sound totally confident!! Does anyone know definitively whether I can sign this just by having a law degree?

Thanks

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    You should be OK.

I've got a Civil Engineering degree and have countersigned many passport applications - nobody has had their passport application rejected!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Best mate signed mine, OH and our four kids, she a TA in a school. So yo should be fine signing it.
  • Janeyjaz
    Janeyjaz Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    put your profession down and your company address and you law degree qualification
    Titch :)
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bairn7 wrote: »
    people with professional qualifications - teachers, accountants, engineers, solicitors and so on; ..."

My feeling has always been that you need to be registered with the appropriate professional association (ie in your case the Law Society, for an engineer the Engineering Council etc)
  • SAMHP_2
    SAMHP_2 Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    I just went down to our local Police Station and asked the policeman behind the desk to sign it. Mind you, that was back in the days when the a) you HAD a local police station and b) it was actually manned for more than one hour a day!!
    Sam
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Janeyjaz wrote: »
    put your profession down and your company address and you law degree qualification

You also need your own passport details on the form.
  • SolicitorMidlands
    Options
    I don't think you can until you are admitted to the roll.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you can until you are admitted to the roll.

This is not correct. The OP qualifies as a person of standing in the community (as do many people with no qualifications at all).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • SolicitorMidlands
    Options
    I was told trainees couldn't. best place to check is the SRA.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I was told trainees couldn't. best place to check is the SRA.

It is not the SRA that make the rules on this. It is the IPS.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport