BT Direct Debit

Options
I pay by Direct Debit on BT so that I can make a £12 savings a year on my telephone bill.

What's a bit silly is that BT won't allow for less than £18 a month to be taken by direct debit - because I use VOIP for most of my calls, my phone bill is never over £30 a month... I've recently realised that I'm in credit on my account for £86!

BT have since refunded me the £86 and I'll make it a habit to call in after every bill and apply for a refund for my amount in credit.

I'd recommend that if you pay by Direct Debit to review your call charges as you may be over paying and ask them for a refund for the amount in credit so you can use/save the money elsewhere.

Comments

• phoneman44
    Options
    I pay my BT bill by monthly DD and they take the exact invoice amount each month(usually about £10.75).
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    BT have since refunded me the £86 and I'll make it a habit to call in after every bill and apply for a refund for my amount in credit.

I'd recommend that if you pay by Direct Debit to review your call charges as you may be over paying and ask them for a refund for the amount in credit so you can use/save the money elsewhere.
    As per phoneman44's post, you need to be on Whole Bill Direct Debit, rather than Monthly Payment Plan. This will take the exact amount of your bill.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    DonnyDave wrote:
    As per phoneman44's post, you need to be on Whole Bill Direct Debit, rather than Monthly Payment Plan. This will take the exact amount of your bill.
    Your next call? 0800 800 150, I think.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • WebJunkie007
    Options
    A very sincere thank you to you all. I will be calling BT (again) tonight!

Why didn't they just tell me about this when I rang to complain about the DD amounts (don't answer that)!
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why didn't they just tell me about this when I rang to complain about the DD amounts (don't answer that)!

Because it makes them more money...

Make sure you request monthly billing too, not quarterly - that way you only pay 1 month in advance instead of 3. They only do this on request, quarterly billing is the norm with BT. ;)
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    paul_h wrote:
    Because it makes them more money...

Make sure you request monthly billing too, not quarterly - that way you only pay 1 month in advance instead of 3. They only do this on request, quarterly billing is the norm with BT. ;)
    The same reason that Jeremy Clarkson neglects to mention that paying Caller Display users need to register for BT Privacy to get it free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure