Ib & Is

Options
just after some advice quickly as very confused!! Was working up to 2 years ago...i pulled my back working as a care assistant off for 7 weeks then found out i was pregnant and couldnt do any heavy lifting cos of pregnancy and weak back. Working 11 hr night shifts the other person was getting grumpy as i could do most jobs and was told i had to either do days(kitchen) half the hours till maternity leave or just leave cos of back.

I left but didnt go on incapacity beneift as didnt want it stop me gettign work again being my back. had my boy and last year i did my back in again cudnt go out or leave my bed for weeks n started to have panic attacks n anxiety going out.

Well my question is.....How come i cant claim Is and IB?? Most poeple who i have spoje to online says they claim both. When i asked they said i couldnt as cos of my national contributions...I just dont get it.

Any help on my question would be nice :)

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    The information you have been given is correct, if you have not paid sufficient NI Conts you will not be eligible for IB. Are you now in receipt of IS?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    as dmg says you need to pay NI conts continuous for the past 2 years to be eligible for cont based benefits.
  • livefornewt
    Options
    No im in reciept of IB not icome support. they say i cant claim is aswell....but know people who does claim both.

They say i cant claim both as i have paid enough national contributions is this correct ??
  • livefornewt
    Options
    oh i was on IS but they took me off when i claimed IB
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    IB pays a higher amount than IS. You can normally only get both if you have disability premiums on top of your IS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure