Debit Card Fraud

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
9 replies 1.2K views
Swans1912Swans1912 Forumite
1.7K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Hi,

I noticed a £104 card payment yesterday to 'Tesco Insurance' that came out of our joint Abbey current account.

I phoned Abbey the same day the money left our account (Yesterday) and they put a block on my OH's card and re-issued a new one. I was VERY shocked that it was my partners card they used because it has been used a handful of times in the last two years... mine is used every day almost! Neither cards are lost or stolen btw! Abbey have also sent out a form the OH needs to sign and return before they can start the charge-back process.

I then contacted the police who gave me a ref number to pass on to Abbey.

Before contacting Abbey I called Tesco to see if I could find out anything, they did a search on the OH's debit card number and found an account in a different name and address. Tesco said they would pass on the account to its fraud team and have put the police ref number on the account notes. I also managed the find out that the account was in a women's name, an address in England and it was for Tesco Home insurance bought online - data protection act stops me finding anything else out!

I then called Abbey's fraud team and passed on the Police ref number and the information I found out from Tesco.

What I wonder is... Do Abbey HAVE TO refund me the money as this is fraud and how long should it take?

Should my partner check her credit report or do anything else?

Replies

• If it is fraud then Abbey will refund the money to you. It will obviously take them time to look into it. Could take a few weeks maybe less.
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm astonished Tesco revealed that amount of data .. most unusual. Doesn't sound like fraud ... sounds more like Tesco capturing incorrect card data? Some fraudsters are stupid .... but few would leave an audit trail quite that well defined!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Swans1912Swans1912 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    I'm astonished Tesco revealed that amount of data .. most unusual. Doesn't sound like fraud ... sounds more like Tesco capturing incorrect card data? Some fraudsters are stupid .... but few would leave an audit trail quite that well defined!

I would agree that it sounds like a strange fraud.... all we can think of is it was a test before a big buy?

I was selective with my questioning when speaking to tesco...

> Is in my or my partners name
    > Out address
    > Address in Wales
    > Address in England
    > In a male or females name
    > What product was it for (I would have wrongly guessed Pet Insurance)
  • I had something really similar with a unauthorised purchase through Sainsbury's. when I brought it to the attention of Sainsbury's fraud dept they swore black was blue that it could not be an error on their part (ie with the card capturing details) After a long investigation it turned out to be just that, an error with the sainsburys secure payment server. They wrote an appologised and sent me £50 for the inconvenience. Hopefully yours will be resolved as well. x
  • nwc389nwc389 Forumite
    493 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Hi , it sounds like an error on the part of Tesco to me or even the buyer of the insurance putting their card details in wrong.
    'test purchases ' are not normally things that leave a trail , a lot of the ones on cases that I have dealt with are mobile phone top ups .
    You should experience no problem in getting the account refunded
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iKennett wrote: »
    I would agree that it sounds like a strange fraud.... all we can think of is it was a test before a big buy?

I doubt that. Not many fraudsters pay their Home Insce directly from a victim's card ...... and then go on to bigger things? Just too obvious.

Still think it's an error on Tesco's part if taken via call-centre ..... or an error with more than one character (they're check character protected - so a single character error / transposition should create an invalid reference) on behalf of the customer - if online.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • HI, I've noticed this weekend that £600 in debit transactions are pending to go out of my Barclay's current account, i went into a branch and we discovered that the money was spent the day before in hong kong, all thow the money hasn't yet gone out of the account i find it very disturbing that the guy in the branch said Barclay's and myself cant stop the money???? so i have to let these fraudsters steal of me. Now i have no card insurance, so does anyone know if ill get a FULL refund. THANKS
  • rb10rb10 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once it's left your account, report it as fraud to Barclays. As it's a large amount, they probably won't be able to refund it straight away, but they will investigate and you should get every penny back.
  • Swans1912Swans1912 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Update: Spoke to Abbye today and it appears that the card has been tested twice this month with a 1p and £5 transaction! This therefore almost 100% points towards fraud! BTW the money never left out account which is why we didn't notice them!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals