PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

February Update: What are you growing in 2006

Options
12346»

Comments

• I started my allotment from scratch 2 years ago and am now self suficient for fruit and veg. So far this year I have broad beans in ( they have been in a few months now), winter cabbage which is doing well, garlic, winter onions. I have prepared the ground for the rest and am busily digging in manure and compost. I will then leave the ground to the frost.
    towards the end of the month I will be planting seeds of the main veggies for planting out when the groung is warmer.
    I would suggest making beds on the site so you don't walk on the ground you are planting in and digging in as much manure and compost as possible...don't put manure where you are putting carrots as they will fork. Carrots are best planted at least 18inches off the ground in containers as the carrot root fly cannot fly more than this height off the ground. Alternately cover the carrots with fleece.
    Als osave all your egg shells as crushed up the are brilliant for stopping slugs as of course is beer..which you put in yogurt pots sunk in the ground...start saving the things now. My compost heaps are made from old pallets and they are great...you need at least 3 if you have the room so that you can have them at different stages. Have a lok at this site. It is great.
    http://www.selfsufficientish.com/ on the top left it has a pointer to their chat forum...ask anything you like ..the people there are very friendly and helpful...i use it all the time...good luck
    Wombling £457.41
  • ps they als ohave a seed swop section as seeds are expensive
    Wombling £457.41
  • annie-c
    Options
    Please continue discussions on the new March Update thread posted today:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1675410#post1675410
  • troll35
    Options
    We (the kids) have planted last week, tomato, broccoli, cabbage, courgette and sweet peas. They are all germinating nicely on my dining room windowsill. I will post march's sowings in the next thread.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • Moll
    Options
    If you want to grow some fruit, Aldi's specials include various fruit bushes at the moment and only 99p each.

I picked up 4 raspberry canes this morning. They also had redcurrant, blackcurrant, gooseberry and tayberry in my local store.

Does anyone know if Aldi still have Tayberry bushes for sale .............Id love one of these.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport