Buying a previously stolen car... it was my family's car!

Options
Ok here's the rather bizarre story.

My mum's 07 Fiat Panda got stolen last November. Eventually the insurance got her a new one (at a hefty cost to her as they underpaid her the value but that's irrelevant).

Meanwhile my car was such a rustbucket I had to sell it for scrap, leaving me carless.

Mum's car was recovered earlier this month. Obviously it's the insurance company's now and it's now going up for auction. It's got no key as the theives took both the spare and the original.

As we know the exact history of this car (she had it from new) bar the short time the thief had it (and he bizarrely left a babyseat in it so he can't have driven it THAT badly if he had a kid) I wouldn't mind bidding on it - I now know the auction site it's going up for. It's still in very good nick.

Questions:
  • Is buying a car without a key a huge hassle? Has anyone done this?
  • Does buying a car that was once stolen - even though now not - cause problems on the resale?
  • Is this all a dreadful idea?
All this is totally new to me so any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is it a category D write off? If so, that will be listed on the log book and will be seen by buyers when you sell it on.

I bought a Cat. C write off once, had absolutely no problems, it had got stuck in a flooded road. I put it through the necessary test, got new paperwork, no problems.

I guess you'll need a new barrel etc fitting by the manufacturer.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • bluemrchimp
    Options
    They mentioned something about category E but I don't know what that means.

the other thing I meant to say was will I have problems insuring it?
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    Insurance categories are A, B, C and D.

A and B shouldn't go back on road
    C can go back on road but needs to have a Vehicle Identity Check carried out by VOSA - will show on logbook
    D can go back on roads no probs - and won't show on logbook

The only real problem that you will have is the key issue. You won't be able to move it anywhere until you get the keys. Most dealer's require to see the logbook in your name to arrange new keys.

So is there a logbook? If not you will have to apply for one on V62 (£25 fee unless the vehicle does require VIC test then it's free) which takes between 2 and 6 weeks to issue depending on the keeper status of the vehicle record at DVLA.

If it requires a VIC test then you won't be able to get a logbook til you have had the VIC carried out, then apply for the logbook!

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to get a new logbook and do the VIC test, it's a bit of a pain admin. wise sending the right bit of paper etc to the right department. I went in and booked the VIC test at the offices and got one literally 2 days later,which was excellent.

Are you sure they didn't say category D?
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • bluemrchimp
    Options
    It might have been category D but I think it was E.

My mum sent the V5 logbook off to the insurance company (though she has a photocopy) but goodness only knows what they'll do with it now.

Thanks for all your help so far. so you can't get a key without a logbook and you can't get a logbook for up to 6 weeks? Hmmm. Not sure this is that good value now...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it was bought from new from the dealer, if you're known to the dealer (perhaps had it serviced there etc, it would be worth your time popping in to see if they could help you out if you buy it. Explain the full circumstances and see if you can get things rolling once you've bought it by phoning them from the auction room.

If you are well-known to them, this might be an option because the whole logbook/key thing is all about vehicle theft/fake IDs. But as they know "it's you" and what's gone on and what you're trying to do, it might be a bit easier (save a few days/checks maybe?)

However, in the meantime, you can just hotwire the car yourself to get it started. Get a local mechanic type to fit you a temporary switch ... although that means the car's less secure and can't be locked.

Also, think about the petrol cap - that'll be the same key. How would you fill it up... just thought of that.

Personally, I'd go for it. Nobody else is likely to bid for it under the circumstances and prices at auction are cheap at the moment, so you might get it for peanuts.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    If it was bought from new from the dealer, if you're known to the dealer (perhaps had it serviced there etc, it would be worth your time popping in to see if they could help you out if you buy it. Explain the full circumstances and see if you can get things rolling once you've bought it by phoning them from the auction room.

If you are well-known to them, this might be an option because the whole logbook/key thing is all about vehicle theft/fake IDs. But as they know "it's you" and what's gone on and what you're trying to do, it might be a bit easier (save a few days/checks maybe?)

However, in the meantime, you can just hotwire the car yourself to get it started. Get a local mechanic type to fit you a temporary switch ... although that means the car's less secure and can't be locked.

Also, think about the petrol cap - that'll be the same key. How would you fill it up... just thought of that.

Personally, I'd go for it. Nobody else is likely to bid for it under the circumstances and prices at auction are cheap at the moment, so you might get it for peanuts.

That wont work as it has an immobiliser
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask the dealer for clarification on the key. Fiats and Alfas were supplied with a blue master key (or was it red). Lose that and I think you couldn't get a copy made. Some people who had lost the master key were being quoted around £1200 for a new immobiliser system and new locks.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport