Incapacity Benefit entitlements??

Options
Hi there everyone - I am now the the forum and wonder whether you guys can help me.

I have been receiving IB since November 2007.

My husband is in full time employment, can I get any help with paying my dental bills at a NHS dentist? And do I have to pay for prescriptions at the chemist?

I don't have any card or anything to show I am entitled to help....

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Hi KBlues,

Welcome to MSE!

IB does not entitle you to help with health costs.

Is your husband on a low income? You may be able to get help through Working Tax Credits or the HC1 scheme, but it would depend on how much he earns.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you find that you are not entitled to free prescription on income grounds, it is worth working out how much you pay for prescriptions over the year, as it may be worth you getting a 'season ticket' (sorry I can't remember the correct terminology)
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • feelinggood_2
    feelinggood_2 Posts: 11,115 Forumite
    Options
    If you find that you are not entitled to free prescription on income grounds, it is worth working out how much you pay for prescriptions over the year, as it may be worth you getting a 'season ticket' (sorry I can't remember the correct terminology)

Good advice:

"If you have to pay for more than 3 prescription items in 3 months, or 14 items in 12 months, you could save money with a Prescription Prepayment certificate (PPC).
    From 1 April 2008, the charge for a single prescription item is £7.10, whereas a 3-month PPC will cost you £27.85 and a 12-month PPC £102.50"

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx
    Stay-at-home, attached Mummy to a 23lb 10oz, 11 month old baby boy.
  • Tibbledom
    Tibbledom Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with all this.

The full list of exemptions are in the NHS booklet HC11 Help with Health Costs which can be downloaded from

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1558.aspx

see pages 8 and 9 in particular
    MSE. Abandon hope all ye who enter here :D
  • GhostHunter_3
    Options
    Hi

Ask your chemist for the payment exemption application form (its like a booklet) for new claims (not renewal). I think you can get this at your local benefit office as well.

Fill it out and send it in with any info you need to enclose and wait. If you are eligable they will send you an exemption certificate (like a letter) which you show every time you collect a drs prescription from chemist, go to NHS dentist or optitians.

Took me ages to find this out as no-one could tell me from my local job centre until I saw an IB expert so its great to pass on the info.

Hope it helps in some way.

:beer:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are eligable they will send you an exemption certificate (like a letter) which you show every time you collect a drs prescription from chemist, go to NHS dentist or optitians.

My cert is like a credit card so it's very easy to keep with you and doesn't fall apart like a letter does after lots of use.
  • GhostHunter_3
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    My cert is like a credit card so it's very easy to keep with you and doesn't fall apart like a letter does after lots of use.

They wont issue me with a credit card stle one no matter how hard I try to get one, it's letter or nothing. :mad:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought it is worth posting the list of medical exemptions as the list is about to be upgraded to include cancer patients. Also note that people who are housebound/can't leave the house without help, owing to a continuing physical disability, are also exempt.

Medical Exemption Certificates (Medex)

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:
    • they have one of the conditions listed below; and
    • they hold a valid Medical Exemption Certificate.
    Medical Exemption Certificates are issued on application to people who have one of the specified medical conditions.

The specified conditions are:
    • A permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
    • A form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    • Diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
    • Diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
    • Hypoparathyroidism
    • Myasthenia gravis
    • Myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
    • Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    • A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months.
    Note: From 1 April 2009, people undergoing treatment for cancer, including the effects of cancer or the effects of current or previous cancer treatment will be able to get free NHS prescriptions if they hold a valid Medical Exemption Certificate. From 09 February, cancer patients can pre-apply for an exemption certificate which will be valid from 1 April 2009.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • KBlues
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help - this is new to me i'm afraid. Not been able to get back to thank you earlier - had the dreaded lurgy:eek:

As my Hubby is working and on fair money I now realise I am un-entitled to get free prescriptions/Dental care. I have, in all honesty, ticked the box on three occasions to say I don't have to pay at my local chemist - as I truly didn't think I did need to pay as I thought that the script had IB on the list of exemptions on the back :confused: . Nothing has been said but I won't be doing it again - don't what the fraud folks after me!
    Thanks once again everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport