Getting Married in A Few Months (Possibly)

Options
OMG. Well, seen as my OH is off to join the RAF (fingers crossed for him) we're planning on getting married before we get engaged. Weird? Yeh. Exciting? Double yeh!!:j

What the plan is, is to get married before he starts his training, then when we have enough money, have a second proper, big wedding. :)

I just mentioned it would be interesting to get married when we're in Amsterdam for my birthday, but we weren't sure if that would just be a big kerfuffle, so I said, what if we got married a bit before and used the Amsterdam trip as a honeymoon? :) He grinned at me and said "Mayyybe.." :j

Eek! I'm actually planning wedding stuff now, but have to remember this is not our proper 'big' day. Still gotta make a bit of a fuss though, haven't I?
What I'm planning on doing is buying a cheap-ish cream satin-y dress from ebay or charity shop or something, getting some crystals (which I already have from my jewellery making) and sewing them on and generally making the dress a bit more sparkly and glam.

I'm also going to make my tiara, jewellery and maybe a garter and whatever else I can think of ^_^ which'll give me a nice big project to do!!

I'm getting really excited now. Have to start thinking of the positives that are coming from his joining the Raf and in my eyes this is an awesome one! :)

We're probably going to end up getting married in the town where I work and going down to the beach..might ask my friend to take pictures. :) Or we might end up going to somewhere near the new forest so the beach'll be nearer...somewhere OH really likes and wanted to live. :)

I also want to write my own vows. *blush*

Now, here come the questions!! With a registry office ceremony...umm, what do you do? Are you still allowed to wear a cream dress and do everything traditionally? Is there anything much different from a church ceremony? I've read that your vows aren't meant to be religious or something... How do you go about 'booking' your wedding in and stuff?

I feel far too little for all of this, but can't help being excited!! Despite the unorthodox-ness of it all either *doh* :rotfl:

Oh! Also, if we get married in a registry office this time round..if later on we decide we want to do a big proper church ceremony, are we allowed to? I'm really not that bothered about it being in a Church, it'd be nice to get married in a big manor house or something...just want to keep my options open and kinda..know if I'm locking myself out of doing things in the future by getting married like this?

Many thanks. :)
x

Comments

• sammie383
    Options
    Hiya!

Congatulations on the "sort of" engagement lol,

I just wanted to say me and my now Dh got married in a Registry office in March last year, in Gretna Green actually becuase thats where we lived before the army shiped us!

You can phone your local council, or even have a search online and find out how to go about booking the office.

The Wedding is more or less the same as it would be anywhere else, you still say the same vows ( or your own ) and you still do the walking down the aisle bit and all that. You're allowed to wear whatever you want, I bought a dress brand new from ebay for £85! It was a proper wedding dress, and looked fab. My hubby wore his No2 dress from the army, as he had already finished his training.

It cost us £117.50 to book the registry office, but bear in mind you have to give them at least 3 weeks notice, as you have to give them birth certs, passports, and also have your names put up on the board outside ( thats so that anyone who objects to the marriage can do so - not that it should happen to you I hope! ) lol

You would have to do this anyway for any wedding venue, becuase I used to be a wedding coordinator in a Castle in scotland, so I hope I know what I am talking about! :rotfl:

About getting married "again"... We plan on doing this lateron too, to make a little more fuss, but it would be called a Renewal of Vows, I.E more or less the same, but as your already wed, u cant wed again! We did lots of these, and they are just the same as "real" weddings, your allowed the dress, and fancyness, and allowed to do it in whichever venue you choose.

I hope I've helped xxx
  • galvanizersbaby
    Options
    Now, here come the questions!! With a registry office ceremony...umm, what do you do? Are you still allowed to wear a cream dress and do everything traditionally? Is there anything much different from a church ceremony? I've read that your vows aren't meant to be religious or something... How do you go about 'booking' your wedding in and stuff?

I feel far too little for all of this, but can't help being excited!! Despite the unorthodox-ness of it all either *doh* :rotfl:

Oh! Also, if we get married in a registry office this time round..if later on we decide we want to do a big proper church ceremony, are we allowed to? I'm really not that bothered about it being in a Church, it'd be nice to get married in a big manor house or something...just want to keep my options open and kinda..know if I'm locking myself out of doing things in the future by getting married like this?

Many thanks. :)
    x[/quote]

Hi Congratulations!

Re the registery office - you just contact them to arrange a date when the registrar can marry you - you can wear whatever you like and the registrar (when you can get an appt to see them will advise you on things like the vows (if you are keen to write your own)

I think you could have a blessing at a later date in Church (if you are a Churchgoer) but I think after the registry office ceremony you will be legally married so not sure you could get legally married again at a later date (not without divorcing first :D )
    tbh not sure I totally understand what you mean when you say 'this time round' in your post.:confused:
    If you mean can you have a blessing at a later date then yes but if you mean can you marry the same person again when you are already legally married then no (if that makes any sense!)

good luck hth x
  • Night_KD
    Night_KD Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, that's really helpful!

Yeah, I mean....this is our 'marriage' and the next (eg a renewal of vows) will be the one we really throw ourselves into and make a big deal out of. Iykwim? To us, this would be our personal ceremony sort of thing, to get married and be man and wife, and then later on, when we have enough money, we'd love to do a renewal of vows/big celebratory party at a manor house, maybe to celebrate an anniversary or something special. :)

xx

I have a question on engagement rings now! :) I'm trying to design a personal engagement ring and I was just wondering if anyone knows how much it costs? I know it'll obviously vary with materials etc, but if anyone has an example, if they've had one made? Can it cost less to get one made from a personal design than buying one from a shop?

I was looking at a silver material (not sure what yet, platinum would be nice, but it's so expensive....) in a celtic design with two small diamonds and maybe a moonstone as the central gem...

x
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't answer specifically about engagement rings, but I had to have my wedding ring made for me to fit round the awkward shaped engagement ring i have. While there were similar things in the shops, nothing was 100% perfect, so we had one made in white gold. Most quotes worked out similar to what you get in the shops to be honest, because although they don't charge as much for the materials, they are then spending the time designing and making it rather than having it mass produced from a machine, like the jewellery stores do. But, you do end up with something different than whats on offer in the shops and sometimes that in itself is worth more.

Having said that, from a MSE point of view, I wished I'd gone with something that was 'almost perfect for what I wanted' in the jewellery store, as I saw one for a LOT less than I paid and I would have settled for that in hindsight.

Not much help am I lol.
  • LittleTinker
    Options
    Wouldnt it be better for you to wait until hes done his training before you get married?

Its a lot for him to deal with.
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    Sounds like an exciting time for you. But without wanting to back track too far, has he actually asked you to marry him? Or vice versa? I just wasn't sure that was clear and hoped you weren't getting too wrapped up in your obvious joy at the prospect.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's like Deja Vu lol

I've already voiced my opinions on the other forum we both use ;)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there a reason for getting married before OH joins RAF?

As to a 'church service' after you are already married. This would be a church blessing. I had one a few weeks after we'd married abroad. From memory the main difference was I walked down the aisle with my husband and wasn't 'given away'.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Meant to say,

You can't get married before you get engaged.

You get engaged to be married, so once you're married, you can't get 'engaged'.

You can wear an engagement ring of course, but you won't be engaged because you will be married!

Does that make sense? lol
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I read it as they are planning on getting married before getting engaged as in they are planning the wedding before they are engaged yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure