HMRC asking for some weird information

Options
Hi folks, does anyone on here know what is normal information for the hmrc to ask for when deciding on your tax credit awards ?

They have asked me for stuff that seems a bit intrusive and i cant for the life of me see how these items would be relevant to my claim they include ......

Rental agreement,
Most recent council tax bill
most recent household bills and evidence of payments
letters about application for child benefit
copies of advertisements
copies of estimates of work
evidence of current and future appointments
Statements from all bank and building society accounts for past 3 months

I can kind of see why they could want bank statements but these are personal accounts and im not supplying that information to anyone but why the bills and council tax and rental agreement what i pay out has got !!!!!! all to do with tax credits and like im going to hand out details of future appointments and copies of estimates apart from the fact that estimates of work to me are confidential and as they are stored electronically probably come under the data protection act.

So what the hell are they playing at ? can anyone shed any light on this ?:confused:

Comments

• Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    maybe the rental agreement and council tax is to make sure that if you are claiming as single person then you truly are single.

are you self employed? maybe thats why they ask for the rest of the stuff.
  • ohyeahitssorcy
    Options
    Just to clarify im not single and i am self employed all HB CTB etc is in joint names with my partner as is the tenancy i wonder if a phone call to them might be in order and ask them straight why they need this info ...
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks, does anyone on here know what is normal information for the hmrc to ask for when deciding on your tax credit awards ?

They have asked me for stuff that seems a bit intrusive and i cant for the life of me see how these items would be relevant to my claim they include ......

Rental agreement,
    Most recent council tax bill
    most recent household bills and evidence of payments
    letters about application for child benefit
    copies of advertisements
    copies of estimates of work
    evidence of current and future appointments
    Statements from all bank and building society accounts for past 3 months

I can kind of see why they could want bank statements but these are personal accounts and im not supplying that information to anyone but why the bills and council tax and rental agreement what i pay out has got !!!!!! all to do with tax credits and like im going to hand out details of future appointments and copies of estimates apart from the fact that estimates of work to me are confidential and as they are stored electronically probably come under the data protection act.

So what the hell are they playing at ? can anyone shed any light on this ?:confused:

I'm sure they haven't asked for these documents just to be nosy. I would think the problem would be if you don't furnish them with the information they ask for then they don't process your claim.
  • tink_the_stink
    Options
    Sounds like your claim is with the compliance team....basically if you don't provide all the info they require you don't get any tax credits....simple as!
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    is it the WTC/CTC wanting to see this or the "normal" tax office?

Just weird that WTC/ CTC would want to see your advertisment etc.
  • ohyeahitssorcy
    Options
    its the WTC/CTC wanting this
  • LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    Options
    As you are self-employed, you can manipulate your income. Bank statements and the relevant bills will supposedly prove what you claim to be your income.

Your choice though - failure to provide will result in your claim being dismissed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure