Changing joint account to single accounts

Options
I'm in the process of separating from my husband and we currently have a joint account with Abbey. I spoke to a staff member about how I go about removing my name from our joint account and she said we both need to go into the bank together to sort this out. For various reasons my husband is dragging his feet over this, so does anybody know if I can get my name removed from the account and any direct debits etc in my name moved over to my new single name account. I can't believe my name has to stay on the joint account just because my husband won't come into the bank with me.

Comments

• simon_templar_2
    Options
    This is one of the downsides to a joint account. You can have your wages and any DD's for you in an account just in your name. However the joint one can only be made sole by both parties signing to say they agree. What signatory rules do you have on it? Is it both to sign or either to sign?
  • elliebean_2
    Options
    What signatory rules do you have on it? Is it both to sign or either to sign?

It's either to sign.
  • simon_templar_2
    Options
    I might be talking !!!! but if it is either to sign you might be able to just close the account?!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Two things you can try - 1 get him to write letter to Abbey stating that he agrees to you been taken off the account.(This will depend on the account been in credit or your husband been credit worthy enough to take on any overdraft).or
    2 Open an account for yourself either with Abbey or elsewhere - take out what you consider to be your share of the balance and then tell Abbey that the account is in dispute. They then have to block the account which might get his attention.

Post back if you need further advice.
  • simon_templar_2
    Options
    Abbey need the 'changing account from joint to sole' form filling and relevant id also. A letter on its own will not suffice. Also when making a sole account joint or joint to sole there is 'risk analysis' done ie credit score just like opening a new account to ensure the party/parties are accepted.

I know of some instances where they will give you the 'joint to sole' form and let you take it away, get him to sign it and bring it back to branch. Then they will take his name off.
  • elliebean_2
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses.
    There should be no credit issues . We both have excellent credit ratings, have never had an overdraft and there is plenty of money in the account.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    elliebean wrote: »
    Thank you both for your responses.
    There should be no credit issues . We both have excellent credit ratings, have never had an overdraft and there is plenty of money in the account.
    In that case withdraw the lot and tell them the account is in dispute!! :beer:
  • elliebean_2
    Options
    In that case withdraw the lot and tell them the account is in dispute!! :beer:

Great idea, but doubt I could bring myself do it!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elliebean wrote: »
    Great idea, but doubt I could bring myself do it!

I also think that this may be the best course of action - each open your own accounts, and freeze/ close the joint one with a nil balance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure