🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gas Kwh unit split

Options
lindabea
lindabea Posts: 1,478 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Hi,

My gas is currently with EDF, and I'm intrigued to know how the kwh is split into the high rate and the remaining charged at the lower rate. I tried to work out if there is a constant % split by looking at previous bills, but the portion of units they allocate at the higher rate seems to vary - I cannot work out how the do it. To give you an example, my total units for current qtr is 1040 - they used the first 229 at 17.1 and remaining 811 at 11.73. It would appear that it is a pro-rata of some sort - can anyone shed some light on this please.

Thanks guys icon7.gif
Before doing something... do nothing

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Quickest way to find out would be to ring EDF and ask how it's done for your tariff - I know nPower charge more of the Tier 1 units in the winter and others do the same all year around. It's usually a set number per quarter or year, but if you only use Tier 1 units in a quarter, the number will obviously be lower and you won't pay any Tier 2.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Two clicks from the front page of their site:
    Gas
    Where applicable, the Band A rate will apply to a block of 2680 kWh p/a. This will be
    applied on a pro rata basis for each day covered by the relevant bill and rounded to the
    nearest whole kWh e.g. for a bill covering 90 days the first 661 kWh used in that billing
    period would be charged at the Band A rate all other day kWh will be charged at the
    Band B rate.

Are you sure you are looking at a quarterly bill? - your "the first 229 at 17.1 and remaining 811 at 11.73" reads more like a monthly statement.
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Kim, no it's definitely a quarterly bill. I think there is a band of units which are charged at the higher rate, and it would appear they pro-rata the quarterly units according to the units used in any quarter. I'd love to know how they base it, as it could have implications when they change their prices.
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Are you sure you are not looking at the Electricity Bill?

They use I believe 225 a quarter(900pa) for electricity. So that would be correct for a 93 day quarter.

If it is gas at 17.1p and 11.73p a kWh you are really being ripped off!!!;)
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doh! !!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income