PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all :D

Still counting January's budget.....it will be massively over - see sig - because I just heard that Sat 31st will be my last day at work :eek: It was only a temp contract so I was kind of expecting it; but what it means is that I will be shopping in the staff shop every day up to & including Saturday :money: so the budget will be truly blown! I even plan to try & see if the small old freezer that is residing in the garden will still work, if so it will be pressed into service as a short-term measure. Bit sad to be leaving but on the plus side I will be able to spend lots of time meal planning & cooking which has kind of gone on the back burner since Nov; plus I will be able to start thinking about mending the greenhouse & growing some food:T

Have a good day eveyone :D
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • procrastinator
    Options
    Hi
    My January hasn't finished yet but thought I would sign in now for the Feb challenge.
    200 for me please MrsM.
    Intend to continue almost daily shopping looking for ys and whoopsi items and going to all the stores to pick up their bargains. I need to walk and daily shopping at the moment is the way to go for me.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Options
    scotsaver wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering just buying my meat from a Butcher's and Fruit & veg from a Market, ok with finding a local Butchers but not sure where to source the Fruit & Veg, the best I've come up with so far is Dartford which is about 15 min drive away so still under debate

Ahh! The good old days for me! I can recommend Dartford market is ace for fruit and veggies, I used to live a similar distance from there. There are a good few fruit and veg traders, so competion is good with lots of banter 'roll up, roll up who'll give me a pound for this bag of .....' Late in the afternoon you can get heaps of bargains, carrier bags or boxes of stuff for £1, as they would rather sell it than pack it up and take it home.

Also there was cheap food stall, with near sell by date tins, cereals and biscuit type type.

Two NSDs for me! Possibly veggie shop will be beckoning me for cucumber and fruit tomorrow.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • Tripletmam
    Options
    Hi Everyone

This is only my second post. I am only quessing what I spend at moment but I will say

£250

That will include all food nappies etc everything but petrol. That is to feed me husband and my triplet two year old girls.

The reason I have joined is I am so sick of binning food money down the drain. I dont work at minute child care a fortune so money I save will go towards our hols.

Cheers

Cheers
  • gtx
    gtx Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    i've already been on the jan thread this morning - we've been staying at mil's ( no heating) and had no internet access so didn't realise feb's was already here!

hope everyone is well - i'm not having a good start £133 of a £180 budget already gone but should only need f&v :undecided .

it's my day off today so i'll be doing some flying (one benefit of not being home is it's still tidy!) and then some batch baking -bread buns, twinks, flapjacks etc.

good luck with feb one and all

gtx

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Well I went to Mr T's for cheese and yoghurts and ended up spending £17.49 like you do. A couple of things were reduced for the Christmas present box and DD2's monthly comic but that will be it food wise until next Wednesday.
  • jtb2412
    jtb2412 Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone :hello:

Still here and came in exactly on budget for January (I kind of cheated a bit :o as I used the rest of Jan's budget and started on Feb's as we managed to fill the freezer up with meat from local farm shop - he had knocked the price down as he needed the space for his delivery !) Not started on the meat yet either so don't feel too guilty about using some of Feb's budget.

So, not much to report really - I will need to get packed lunch stuff for next week but will go on Sunday (when it's the 1st Feb :rotfl: ).

Good luck for Feb everyone ! :beer:
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
  • The_shuffs
    Options
    Hi everyone I would like to join this month and hopefully all the others I have a budget of £70 a week and have to stick to it there is myself,my OH, 2DD and 2 step daughters (who stay one night 2 days mid wk) and every other weekend oh and we have 1 crazy dog I have learnt from here the menu planning which has helped so much so here goes Rachael x
    Hi still have debts to clear :mad: working towards a DFL my family have grown over the last 2 years I very proud to say I now have 3 beautiful Grandchildren :T My DF fight continues :):):):):)
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I have just been into Mr T for milk & yoghurt & spent £14.15. Muller little stars are still 79p for 6, but the offer ends 3 Feb, I think, so I got 2 packs as DD loves these in her lunch & for snacks.

The rest of the spend was on YS meat, 30-35% off. In the Mr T here these are usually all gone long before the major whoopsies come out in the evening & with the price of meat it still makes a difference.

Spent £11.51 (full price would have been £17.11) on 0.9kg beef joint (cut in half before freezing as there are only the 2 of us), 0.7kg of braising steak and 4 chicken breasts.

Doesn’t leave a lot for the remaining 3 weeks, but shouldn’t actually need anything else other than milk & fresh fruit.
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Options
    £225 for me again for February, please :) I have empty cupboards, but more (whoopsied) meat in the freezer than we have eaten for the whole of January, so various unforseens and emergencies excepted, we ought to be able to make it quite comfortably...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure