PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    I include food, toiletries and cleaning/laundry in my budget but separating them on my spreadsheet; I'm also thinking of working to an annual budget as some months I hardly spend and others months (like Feb) I buy loads of stock items, so way over budget :eek:.

tbh, if you're taking control of food spending then it makes sense to also keep track of household and toiletries spending so that you have a true picture of where your money goes. I don't include prescribed medicines as there's no option to reduce the cost of these but I include over-the-counter medicines

I'm going to spend some time today working out my annual budget spreadsheet - I've downloaded some printable accounting papers to try out ;)

Sashanut - do you mean Curry Queen's Curry Night thread?

Afternoon all!

Hi rosie, I include food, toiletries and household in my budget as well, but not medicines and yesterday did consider going over to the annual budget because of all the bulk buying I've been doing. The only thing that concerns me about this is, if I thought I could spend £1560 which would be my annual budget -I would probably blow the whole lot at the beginning of the year -sometimes my will-power is not so good. So I decided that if I reduce the rest of my monthly totals for the year I might have a better chance of coming in somewhere close at the end of the year -I hope. I'm not too phased by my big splurge yesterday as I did get some real bargains, so hopefully I'll do better in March and its definately a NSD for me today

Today we're having Leg of lamb and roasties with all the trimmings and I'm about to embark on a big bake to make the most of what I've got. Have a nice day everyone -keep up the good work -we're all starsicon7.gif
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Went to MrT for a few bits and also stopped for farm eggs when out with dogs. £13.09 altogether so have added that to my total. Dropped off about a dozen empty egg boxes so I feel I have decluttered :D
  • orchid-96
    Options
    Just popped on to update sig, unfortunately I am already over budget this month, mainly because I have had visitors this weekend that I didn't know about at the beginning....my month ends next Saturday so I will expect to add a bit more yet probabaly (should only be f&v though) I have enough in for pack ups for next week and also for breakfast and eve meals as well...I am pretty pleased at how I have done....but I have decided that £200 for a month for all of us is a bit low, so next month I am going to make it £250 and in this include everything I pick up in the supermarket/shops (this month I have bought some bits for easter and also a new lasagne dish and a couple of bits but I didn't include that in my budget)...I am pleased with my other budget I started to monitor this month which is a 'social' one and is for takeaways and alcohol etc. and I have managed to stick to that one (avoided a takeaway yesterday with my sis as dh cooked a lovely hm lasagne that we have leftovers for in the freezer yay...
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi egon

No, no message since I Pm'd you to appologise for getting crossed wires about xmas :DI think, that for some reason, our pm's don't always turn up where they should! I did answer, so who of you received the pm?????? ;)
    I have set myself a figure of €1680 a year (approx €140 a month) -I think a yearly budget will work better for me as I tend to stockpile when I see bargains... so I have months that are quite high and then months where I spend very little. This way I won't feel bad when I have a big spend ;)I am thinking about changing over too. I will have to update the budget anyhow, so see how it goes. I'll let you know though.
    If you have a look at the top of the grocery list on page 1 -there are quite a few of us who have gone on to an annual budget:D

I've done the first internet shopping for march. It will be delivered thursday, as I want the 5p off for fuel voucher. I think, the only thing I need this month is now eggs and maybe milk. So I will be keeping the damage as low as possible. Me think, it will be definately easier to change to annual budget.
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • Baileys_Babe
    Options
    elizabunny wrote: »
    ...yesterday did consider going over to the annual budget because of all the bulk buying I've been doing. The only thing that concerns me about this is, if I thought I could spend £1560 which would be my annual budget -I would probably blow the whole lot at the beginning of the year...

I try to overcome this by setting annual budget but dividing it into monthly amounts so I don't go mad at the beginning of the year and end up living off water at the end :rotfl: This way any bulk buying should not send the annual total over, but the monthly target keeps me focused and make me think before going out for dinner again (unless somebody else is paying :D )
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Miss_Liquorice
    Options
    My budget includes all food - bought in, takeaways, eating out - any cleaning and toiletry products, buying anything for my guinea pigs (sawdust, hay, dried food, fresh food) and alcohol to be consumed in the house, so picking up bottles of wine etc but not if I went out for a couple of drinks. Of course, going out for a few drinks increases the odds of picking up chips or something else unhealthy but quick on the way home!

I need to head out this afternoon for lettuce for the piggies and some flour so I can do some baking. We'll see howI do. I'm quite tempted to go to the supermarket furthest away from me just so when I'm shopping I have to think about carrying it all home! When I pass my driving test in a few weeks (When! Not if. Hehe) and buy a car (if not when??) it's going to be much harder to not just 'pick stuff up cause I've got the car'.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi.....good afternoon...ive spent too much money:o which is annoying but there u go....im sure prices are sneaking up...it isnt me purchasing £1 easter eggsand eating some of them...bad bad bad...they were pleasant though....we had chicken and sweetcorn pasta for lunch which was nice...and quite ms as i used the other half of the chicken we had yesterday....had to go to asda for nappies today and noticed [EMAIL="st@r"]st@r[/EMAIL] drops were 20p a bottle....its very multi purpose and good value for 20p.....they had chickens for £2 but we are on the free range bandwagon at the mo ....didnt really see any other bargains ....which in some ways is good because id be even skinter ....have a nice weekend
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know, if you can buy stardrops in Tesco?
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't been to tesco in a while but they used to sell it, look on the bottom shelf by the cheapy (low profit) items, like soda crystals :)
    elizabunny wrote: »
    ...The only thing that concerns me about this is, if I thought I could spend £1560 which would be my annual budget -I would probably blow the whole lot at the beginning of the year -sometimes my will-power is not so good. So I decided that if I reduce the rest of my monthly totals for the year I might have a better chance of coming in somewhere close at the end of the year -I hope. ...

I like Baileys Babe's suggestion, think I'll keep my focus on a monthly budget and check the accumulated against my annual (sounds very clever doesn't it, almost as if I know what I'm talking about! :D) If I focus only on the annual figure I'd probably blow the lot on bourbon biscuits and tea bags, life's 2 essentials ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    Haven't been to tesco in a while but they used to sell it, look on the bottom shelf by the cheapy (low profit) items, like soda crystals :)

I like Baileys Babe's suggestion, think I'll keep my focus on a monthly budget and check the accumulated against my annual (sounds very clever doesn't it, almost as if I know what I'm talking about! :D) If I focus only on the annual figure I'd probably blow the lot on bourbon biscuits and tea bags, life's 2 essentials ;)

:D thats a bit how I work... Im on the annual list but I keep in my head that my monthly "should be" approx €140 .... only 2 months in and I haven't gone anywhere near -but hubby reckons Im as tight as a ducks "doo daa" :rotfl:

I lay on the bed last night and off the top of my head scratted down a menu plan using what I know we have in (why I can recall my food supplies off by heart but can walk into the kitchen to fetch something and forget what it was once i get there -I will never know :p )...anyway it seems we have enough meat/fish for march and april :j so I worked out a rough list and my weekly fruit, veg, milk, yogs, salad and the odd bit I will need should be €20-€25 max ...so that is my mission for March.. NO MORE than that is to be spent ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport