Stay In Hospital & Travel Costs

Options
I was admitted to hospital twice for over night stays and once for fluids within a month. My sister and Mum were in hospital and I had to go and visit them. While I was in hospital my husband visited me. Is there any way I can claim travel expenses? :confused:

Comments

• feelinggood_2
    feelinggood_2 Posts: 11,115 Forumite
    Options
    "You cannot claim help with travel costs, if:
    you are visiting someone in hospital. However, visitors in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits may be able to receive assistance in the form of a Social Fund payment. Further information about this assistance can be obtained from Jobcentre Plus offices"

Taken from:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Healthcosts/Pages/Travelcosts.aspx
    Stay-at-home, attached Mummy to a 23lb 10oz, 11 month old baby boy.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    "You cannot claim help with travel costs, if:
    you are visiting someone in hospital. However, visitors in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits may be able to receive assistance in the form of a Social Fund payment. Further information about this assistance can be obtained from Jobcentre Plus offices"

Taken from:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Healthcosts/Pages/Travelcosts.aspx

Thanks for responding and for the link. Since I don't work, due to my health, and my husband is my career, does that mean I can claim for him visiting me in hospital as he had to make a 90 miles round trip to visit me each time?
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Jo4 wrote: »
    Thanks for responding and for the link. Since I don't work, due to my health, and my husband is my career, does that mean I can claim for him visiting me in hospital as he had to make a 90 miles round trip to visit me each time?

it is him who claims not you if he is on benefits that quallify ie i support

What are the qualifying benefits and allowances?

You or your partner (including Civil partners) receive
    • Income Support,
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance,
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, or
    • you are named on, or entitled to (use your award notice as evidence), a NHS tax credit exemption certificate, or
    • you have a low income and are named on certificate HC2 or HC3. To apply for this certificate, you should complete form HC1 available from your local hospital, Jobcentre Plus offices, or from the DH publications order line on 0845 610 1112
    What form of transport can I use?

You should use the cheapest most appropriate means of transport, which in most cases will be public transport. If you travel by car you will be reimbursed the estimated cost of fuel used plus unavoidable car parking and toll charges.
    Where you are using a taxi for transport it is recommended that you check with the hospital or PCT before you travel to agree this.
    Patients in London may be able to claim congestion charges – You can find here further information on the Congestion Charge NHS Reimbursement Scheme, operated by Transport for London.
  • COUSCOUS_3
    Options
    i was in hospital recently about 50 miles fro my house for 6 days. i could claim for being taken and being picked up ftom the hospital but my partner was unable to claimfor visiting as they said this was his personal choice and not necessity. not sure if that only applied to that particular hospital but well worth asking just in case. hope you get on ok
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder whether there may be different rules for someone who's in hospital for several days, compared to someone who's only in overnight? I have no idea whether this is the case, but it might be relevant.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The doctor requested that my husband be there for some of the tests there were carrying out on me. The doctor made the request verbally so I have no proof that I needed him there.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My understanding has always been the same,that is you can apply for travel cost for your own travel to and from hospital to see doctors or to be admitted,but no one can claim for visiting you,although I have read that there can be exceptions to that if long distances are involved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure