HB advice - not straight-forward!!!

Options
Hi, just wondered if anyone would be able to advise about H.B. - but it's not very straight-forward! I've been a full time post grad student since September, but the course is really not for me, and I'm having to consider that I may need to leave. I have had some funding, some of which I'll need to repay once I've withdrawn from the course. My partner works full time, but his income is quite low - £207 p/w net.I'm desperately job seeking at the mo and have a few applications to complete, but I'm worried that if something doesn't come up soon, we're going to really struggle with our rent - £425pcm. I know we could put in an application for HB until I've found work, but this is where it gets complicated!!! My 11 year old daughter lives part of the week with me and my partner and part of the week with her dad. Her dad claims CTC, and I get the ChB. This is the only benefit we claim (my partner and I currently can't get WTC because of the income I earned earlier in the year, before I started my course). Our situation re my daughter living between me and her dad has left me unsure about how the HB assessors would look at my claim - would they consider that my daughter lives with us, or with her father??? And therefore whether we need a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom property!Any advise would be gratefully received.Thanks!

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered staying on the course until you find a job?
  • ohyeahitssorcy
    Options
    Im currently considered over accomodated by housing benefit (3 bedroom house only 1 child lives with us £650pcm rent) but we still get something and thats the key if you get something then at least it helps something is better than nothing having a bigger house than what they think you need doesnt bar you from getting housing benefit they just wont give you as much .

Im not sure if the new local housing allowance takes into account children that stay with you on a regular basis or not best thing to do is go and talk to them they wont bite your head off as your partner works and is on low income you will get something
  • lottie6636
    Options
    They usually decide that the child stays with the parent who gets the child benefit.
  • pontdugard
    Options
    I noticed that you receive the CB and your daughters dad the CTC.

I think it is normally the case that the party receiving the CB is the only one able to claim any child related payments, which presumably also includes additional housing entitlement
  • Claz_2
    Claz_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,thanks for the replies!Oldernotwiser- I'm looking at all my options at the moment, obviously, staying on the course is one of them, I just think it's perfectly reasonable to know all my options before a decision is made!!!! There are also implications should I continue with the course, but I sharn't go into that here!Anyway, again, thanks for your time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure