Problems in sending email using AOL

Has anyone experienced using AOL as ISP and sending email through Outlook Express. Partner has Demon account and he wanted to set up outlook to send and receive his email.

Will receive all mails no problems but we have problems in sending mail and get error messages such "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account. account name, Server: 'server name', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): N0, Error Number: 0x800ccc0f"

Sometimes we get "Task 'server name - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800ccc0f): 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

Sometimes the emails do send but not enough to make it reliable for his work.

Demon say we need to use AOL's SMTP not theirs but that does not work as he does not have an aol email address and it will only work with that. It happens on two different machines so I dont think it is a AV problem, or modem problem, I think it is AOL playing games with our mail and dropping the server connection.

Anyone any ideas?
Thank you

Comments

• use the aol smtp for the sending. it does work. i have to do it with mine - yahoo email account, wanadoo isp.

ZHR.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/imap/

I tried it the other night, but couldn't seem to get it to work. If you do let me know :)
  • Did you get anywhere with this lushkat? :)
  • Dude
    Dude Posts: 206 Forumite
    Does AOL allow POP3 email? Worth looking into!
    2 heads are better than 1….unless they are on the same body!
  • lushkat
    lushkat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Tried to get in contact with AOL - using their Live Help facility - but to no avail. They werent very helpful, answered a completely different question to the one I was asking and then disconnected me from Live Help. Thought I would leave it to the weekend - ie today so wish me luck - I will try again today.

I'll let you know
  • lushkat
    lushkat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Tried AOL yesterday. It was a disaster. They didnt really understand my question and kept referring me to Keyword: IMAP which relates only to sending and receiving AOL mail using third party software ie Outlook etc.

I was disconnected me from Live Help when I said that they hadnt answered my question. I then phoned the technical helpline only to be told (rudely) that I was crazy if I thought that they would support something like Outlook. :mad:

I then spoke to Billing saying that I was seriously considering cancelling my account and she did go and find a senior technician who said that it was something that they didnt have anything to do with. Typical AOL.

So we are probably going to cancel our membership and go elsewhere. A bit disappointing really after all that, but we really need to be able to check and send non AOL email.
  • Dude
    Dude Posts: 206 Forumite
    As a short term solutions you should be able to login to something called web mail. For example, if your email account is with wanadoo go to http://wannadoo.co.uk and log into there web mail section (called "check your mail"), using your email address and password.

You can compare ISP's by going to http://www.adslguide.org. It is an independent ADSL comparison site.
    2 heads are better than 1….unless they are on the same body!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure